Author Topic: Very slow to open or begin Ingest  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Baneen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Very slow to open or begin Ingest
« on: April 27, 2008, 09:57:10 AM »
I'm using 4.5.3.1.

Startup is very quick however when I select to Ingest via File/Ingest or Cntrl-G or from the Windows prompt when inserting a card by Open or Injest it is VERY slow to open to get to the dialog box - in the order of minutes. Can someone give me an idea why this is? I am using a multicard reader. Is it possible my network shares are causing a problem? Any help would be appreciated as it is now way more than a nuisance.

Thanks in advance.

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Re: Very slow to open or begin Ingest
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 10:37:59 AM »
Not sure, but try creating this directory on the drives and shares you want ingest to ignore

PMIngestIgnore

Let us know if it helps. 

Note you may set the file attribute of this directory to hidden so that it does not show up in file listings.

Deven

Offline Baneen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 03:11:07 PM »
Not sure, but try creating this directory on the drives and shares you want ingest to ignore

PMIngestIgnore

Let us know if it helps. 

Note you may set the file attribute of this directory to hidden so that it does not show up in file listings.

Deven

I'm not sure if I want to go to all my PC shares and do this. Does PM actually do deep scanning of all available drives prior to ingesting? It seems to me that if PM is started via XP's dialog and selecting "Open or Ingest" when inserting a media card it should already know what drive to ingest. Does everyone have this problem or just me? If it's just me then it has to be something other than mere network shares, no? Is it possible that the problem might be that my drive letters are different from time to time depending on what's inserted and what's turned on (external hard drives) and PM is having difficulty because a previously used drive is no longer available? Is there a way to reset everything other than clearing the cache upon exiting?

Offline Baneen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 11:24:54 AM »
So, after looking a little longer it seems that my problem is fixed by selecting Ingest Disks instead of Ingest Folders? I'm not entirely sure where one would select one over the other but since I always ingest entire cards I would assume using Ingest Disks is best. However, there is one thing still unclear to me as I could not find it in the manual. When one has Ingest Disks selected the "Remove" button is replaced by a "Unmount" button. Does this remove the drive from the list or actually "eject" the removable media?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
So, after looking a little longer it seems that my problem is fixed by selecting Ingest Disks instead of Ingest Folders?

Did you have a number of folders listed in the folder list box?  Each of them would indeed need to be scanned.

Quote from: Baneen
I'm not entirely sure where one would select one over the other but since I always ingest entire cards I would assume using Ingest Disks is best.

If you ever want to process a large number of photos that are already on your hard drive then Ingesting Folders is the only way you can do that without Ingesting the entire disk.  If you're just downloading photos from a camera card then Ingest Disks is what would work best.

Quote from: Baneen
However, there is one thing still unclear to me as I could not find it in the manual. When one has Ingest Disks selected the "Remove" button is replaced by a "Unmount" button. Does this remove the drive from the list or actually "eject" the removable media?

It unmounts the volume from the file system.  I suppose you could say it "ejects" the disk but that term is usually applicable to CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Baneen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 05:35:04 PM »
Did you have a number of folders listed in the folder list box?  Each of them would indeed need to be scanned.

Every time I began an ingest I only had one card in the multi-reader so only 1 drive was reported. It reported a drive and not a volume IIRC. I wonder if I had previously selected several directories that are no longer available and they were cached and it hung up looking for them - like clicking on your "A:" drive in Windows Explorer with no floppy in or if there was actually no "A:" drive. In any event I can attest that it took between 3 and 5 minutes to get to the dialog (dual processor 4200+ 1 GB Mem). It was definitely getting hung up doing something. If necessary I would be willing to run a debug version or generate a log if this is a known issue and you wish to pursue it.

If you ever want to process a large number of photos that are already on your hard drive then Ingesting Folders is the only way you can do that without Ingesting the entire disk.

I suspect that is exactly how I subsequently ended up with ingesting volumes.

It unmounts the volume from the file system.  I suppose you could say it "ejects" the disk but that term is usually applicable to CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs.

I wasn't sure if that was the same thing as the "Safely Remove Hardware" in the (windows) system tray. That's handy.

Thanks again for the response. I have my solution and really enjoy the product and have enjoyed watching it evolve over time. The performance enhancements have been commendable. Again, if the particular issue I reported is of interest I would be more than glad to help debug it. It is really, really slow on my system for some reason.