Author Topic: Turn off buttons, please!  (Read 12041 times)

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Turn off buttons, please!
« on: November 01, 2007, 06:52:00 AM »
Just a simple request: a toggle to turn off display of the four large buttons that surround a photo when the cursor moves over it.

I never use these buttons; my images are rotated in camera and I use shortcuts for the other functions. I find the buttons distracting in an otherwise great interface (and my ADHD doesn't help!).

Thanks,
Byrne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Turn off buttons, please!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 08:41:16 AM »
Just a simple request: a toggle to turn off display of the four large buttons that surround a photo when the cursor moves over it.

I never use these buttons; my images are rotated in camera and I use shortcuts for the other functions. I find the buttons distracting in an otherwise great interface (and my ADHD doesn't help!).

How do you bring up the individual IPTC Info for a file then?

-Kirk

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 01:35:33 PM »
-Kirk

I don't. This is not a function of PM I use nor envision using. Primarily, I use PM as a light table in selecting photos to import, saving them from CF into folders while renumbering and selecting images for print. I am not a professional who needs to track thousands of images a week or month so have no need to spend time taging photos with searchable information. I like PM because it is fast, efficient and (except for my one niggle) well laid-out.

When I refered to shortcuts before, I though Command-I brought up the ITPC info but I see it just brings up the "stationary pad".

Thanks,
Byrne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 01:43:09 PM »
Byrne,

I don't. This is not a function of PM I use nor envision using. Primarily, I use PM as a light table in selecting photos to import, saving them from CF into folders while renumbering and selecting images for print. I am not a professional who needs to track thousands of images a week or month so have no need to spend time taging photos with searchable information. I like PM because it is fast, efficient and (except for my one niggle) well laid-out.

I see. Well we'd have a hard time justifying the removal of a feature that would make it fundamentally flawed for others.  I know there would be numerous tech support issues for those folks who accidentally turned off the hover buttons and then couldn't figure out how to caption their photos.

-Kirk

Offline bpedit

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 03:31:56 PM »
Well we'd have a hard time justifying the removal of a feature that would make it fundamentally flawed for others. . . .
-Kirk

I don't think I even implied removing any features. I'm talking about a checkbox in preferences, maybe on the General page. Unless worded ambiguously, users would know the outcome of checking this box and not check it if they didn't want to.

Anyhow, no big deal, PM's certainly useable as is. Thanks for communicating, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Byrne

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 04:55:07 PM »
Byrne,

Well we'd have a hard time justifying the removal of a feature that would make it fundamentally flawed for others. . . .

I don't think I even implied removing any features. I'm talking about a checkbox in preferences, maybe on the General page. Unless worded ambiguously, users would know the outcome of checking this box and not check it if they didn't want to.

Anyhow, no big deal, PM's certainly useable as is. Thanks for communicating, I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

No feathers ruffled here.  I just don't want to add something that can cause confusion for some users.

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 11:29:12 AM »

How about adding the functions from the buttons to the right mouse button menu, along with a checkbox option to turn the buttons back on?  I'm not voting for removal of the buttons... just making a suggestion.

Offline wideopen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Wide Open Photography
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »
How do you bring up the individual IPTC Info for a file then? -Kirk
Doesn't anyone use KEYBOARD SHORTCUTS? ALT [ or ALT ] to rotate and I brings up the IPTC info.

But, in agreement with the OP, I would also like to be able to disable those buttons.
--
Mike
WideOpenPhotography.com

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »
Well, I would love to be able to turn off the 2 rotation buttons in Preferences but keep the IPTC and Preview buttons.  :)  Changing the program's behavior in Preferences is an excellent way of allowing everybody to use the program as it suits them best.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline mhb

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 05:29:54 AM »
A hack to do this.

On Mac at least, you can replace the underlying images with blank images. That effectively turns off the Hover buttons "appearing".

The files are in Applications/Photo Mechanic/Contents/Resource

For the non pressed state
  HoverRotateCW.tif
  HoverPreview.tif
  HoverRotateCCW.tif
  HoverInfo.tif

For the pressed state
  HoverRotateCCW_Pressed.tif
  HoverPreview_Pressed.tif
  HoverRotateCW_Pressed.tif
  HoverInfo_Pressed.tif

I only did non pressed buttons.

Cheers
Mark

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 08:34:28 PM »
I was recently looking through a large folder so I made the thumbnails tiny - Then when I wanted to click on an image I kept accidently clicking on the rotate or IPTC buttons (at the smallest setting the 4 buttons are larger then the image. So then I wished I could turn them off or make them proportionally smaller.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com