Author Topic: re-installing Photo Mechanic  (Read 7458 times)

Offline jbutler

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
re-installing Photo Mechanic
« on: June 19, 2006, 12:20:28 PM »
My laptop lost power  in the middle of a tag and editing process.  After re-charging everything works fine, opens up etc. EXCEPT the tag and editing process. So, can I uninstall PM and re-install without losing the data I've already put on my photos?

Offline NickML

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: re-installing Photo Mechanic
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 01:11:09 PM »
Yup - you *might* lose the cache, but the picture tags and crops are stored with the image files, not centrally.

~ Nick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 10:43:03 PM »
Yup - you *might* lose the cache, but the picture tags and crops are stored with the image files, not centrally.

If you're waiting for an official confirmation, I can verify that uninstalling and reinstalling will not affect your photos.  Even the cache won't be lost.

-Kirk

Offline mize

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Mizener - Photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 09:21:55 PM »
Another re-installing question. For reasons too numerous to list here I had to reformat the hard drive of my G4 and when I reinstalled PM I noticed that it keeps adding a new user to my user folder. When I set up the machine I made the short name for the user something different than what the default would be. My new short user name is 'tmize' the default would have been 'toddmizener'. When I fire up PM it creates a new 'toddmizener' folder in the user folder. My question is this going to cuase any problems for any other programs or for PM. Changing the shortname is a very difficult thing so I would rather just leave it alone if I can. Any ideas?
Todd Mizener
Dir of Photography/Multimedia
Dispatch/Argus

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2006, 10:35:33 PM »
Another re-installing question. For reasons too numerous to list here I had to reformat the hard drive of my G4 and when I reinstalled PM I noticed that it keeps adding a new user to my user folder. When I set up the machine I made the short name for the user something different than what the default would be. My new short user name is 'tmize' the default would have been 'toddmizener'. When I fire up PM it creates a new 'toddmizener' folder in the user folder. My question is this going to cuase any problems for any other programs or for PM. Changing the shortname is a very difficult thing so I would rather just leave it alone if I can. Any ideas?

You say it is creating a new user folder, but is this folder empty?  It sounds like maybe it is trying to recreate the full path to the cache folder that you had previously chosen.  Check the disk cache path in the Caching tab of the Preferences dialog to see where you are telling Photo Mechanic to access your cache.  Photo Mechanic will create the path if it no longer exists.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mize

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Todd Mizener - Photojournalist
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 09:51:36 AM »
You nailed it. That is exactly what was happening. Thanks for the help.

Todd
Todd Mizener
Dir of Photography/Multimedia
Dispatch/Argus