Author Topic: Unable to set color class after NX edit  (Read 9508 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
Unable to set color class after NX edit
« on: April 29, 2008, 09:13:09 AM »
If I edit a photo using NX, save my changes, and close the image out of NX (NX is still open however), I cannot change the color class of the image in PM.  Oddly, I can change the star rating  ???  In order to change the color class, I have to completely close NX.

Using PM 4.5.3 and NX 1.3.3 under Windows XP.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Unable to set color class after NX edit
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2008, 09:43:35 AM »
Deven,

If I edit a photo using NX, save my changes, and close the image out of NX (NX is still open however), I cannot change the color class of the image in PM.  Oddly, I can change the star rating  ???  In order to change the color class, I have to completely close NX.

Using PM 4.5.3 and NX 1.3.3 under Windows XP.

Does the color class change to your selection temporarily and then snap back to its prior setting?  What if you have Capture NX browse a different folder, will setting the color class work then?

Does it make any difference if you use PM 4.5.3.1?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2008, 10:04:59 AM »
No, I don't see any temporary change.  If NX is browsing a different folder, then I can change the color class.

Haven't tried 4.5.3.1, but I can if it would help.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2008, 12:10:50 PM »
Deven,

No, I don't see any temporary change.  If NX is browsing a different folder, then I can change the color class.

Haven't tried 4.5.3.1, but I can if it would help.

Are you setting PM to embed IPTC or XMP metadata into your NEFs (NEFs are TIFF-based RAW files)?  If so, can you update captions when Capture NX is still working in the same directory?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2008, 01:01:20 PM »
I am setting it to embed both IPTC and IPTC4XMP.

I tested some more and I am very puzzled  :o

The behavior of the problem is very unpredictable.

Sometimes I am unable to reproduce the problem with some photos, but I open others that I know exhibited the problem before and can reproduce it.

In another test just having NX open with one image made it impossible to change the color class of every image in the directory.  But if I change the star rating first, then I am able to change the color class  ???

If I encounter the problem and shut down NX or change the browsing directory, the problem is solved. If I leave NX open and shut down and restart PM, I still have the problem.

Let me see if I can reproduce this on my laptop ...

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2008, 02:37:07 PM »
Deven,

I am setting it to embed both IPTC and IPTC4XMP.

I tested some more and I am very puzzled  :o

The behavior of the problem is very unpredictable.

Sometimes I am unable to reproduce the problem with some photos, but I open others that I know exhibited the problem before and can reproduce it.

In another test just having NX open with one image made it impossible to change the color class of every image in the directory.  But if I change the star rating first, then I am able to change the color class  ???

If I encounter the problem and shut down NX or change the browsing directory, the problem is solved. If I leave NX open and shut down and restart PM, I still have the problem.

Let me see if I can reproduce this on my laptop ...

It sounds like Capture NX is keeping the files with an exclusive write lock that is keeping PM from being able to update the file.

What happens if you try to update an IPTC caption on one of these files?

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
Kirk,

I tried to reproduce the problem on my laptop without any success.  Right now I can't reproduce it with my desktop  ???  Needless to say it is puzzling.

Even when I had the problem, I was able to edit IPTC info.  I just could not first change the color class.

Unless someone else can reproduce the problem, it does sound like this is unique to my desktop system.  Perhaps a reinstall will help.  I'll try installing 4.5.3.1 later today.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »
Deven,

I tried to reproduce the problem on my laptop without any success.  Right now I can't reproduce it with my desktop  ???  Needless to say it is puzzling.

Even when I had the problem, I was able to edit IPTC info.  I just could not first change the color class.

Unless someone else can reproduce the problem, it does sound like this is unique to my desktop system.  Perhaps a reinstall will help.  I'll try installing 4.5.3.1 later today.

Another user reported this issue a while back and I couldn't reproduce it.  Let me know if you can come up with a reproducible case and I'll be happy to look into it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 02:04:58 AM »
I've had similar "quirks" when using NX and PM at the same time.

Somehow NX sometimes keeps a write lock on  a file and then PM fails to write to it. This goes for updating the colour class/rating as well as IPTC info.

Usually retrying the same operation a couple of times (twice is normally enough), fixes the problem. If I recall correctly, the colour class/rating was more stubborn in this respect, and I may have had to revert to opening the IPTC info dialogue and try it from there.  I'm not sure about this though.

The problem is definitely not reproducible (consistently), and may in fact have nothing to do with either program, but simply with some sort of file system glitch (this is Windows after all).  Hmmm, now I think about it, it could have to do with file caching of either program...
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 06:30:37 AM »
The behavior Hayo describes is what I see as well (i.e. retrying sometimes solves the problem).

Deven

Offline Geoffrey Hervey

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2008, 03:40:50 PM »
I, too, have periodic problems with NX.  I don't seem to have problems with core IPTC meta data, but I have odd things happen with star ratings.  For example, I will rate an image with two stars in PM.  I will then view the large preview in PM, then hit the Edit button in PM to launch NX.  I edit and save the photo in NX.  I exit the photo in NX.  When I return to PM, the star rating is gone.  Happens a lot.

What settings are recommended, vis a vis saving metadata in XMP sidecar files, etc.?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2008, 03:49:56 PM »
I, too, have periodic problems with NX.  I don't seem to have problems with core IPTC meta data, but I have odd things happen with star ratings.  For example, I will rate an image with two stars in PM.  I will then view the large preview in PM, then hit the Edit button in PM to launch NX.  I edit and save the photo in NX.  I exit the photo in NX.  When I return to PM, the star rating is gone.  Happens a lot.

What settings are recommended, vis a vis saving metadata in XMP sidecar files, etc.?

I recommend the following settings for Capture NX users:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 07:23:27 AM »
Kirk,

Updated to Windows 4.5.3.1 and still have the problem with those settings.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 09:36:40 AM »
Deven,

Updated to Windows 4.5.3.1 and still have the problem with those settings.

If you can give me a set of steps that will reproduce the problem on our systems then we will see what we can do to fix the problem.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
Kirk,

The steps are what I described in the first message in this thread.  Problem is not consistent nor can I reproduce it on my laptop.

Deven