Author Topic: Can I convince Injest to skip files already injested?  (Read 10255 times)

Offline Mike-D

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Can I convince Injest to skip files already injested?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2008, 10:30:38 AM »
Also, the goal of making incremental download fast is laudable, but should not be the primary goal. Ensuring that all new files -- only ONLY new files -- are downloaded should be the goal.  I have a feeling that if you expressed that doing so may take longer to perform the initial scan, people would be more understanding about it.

Of course, I am only one user, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt.  But this broken implementation that relies on file properties that are easily changed both by the user and by PM itself seems to be incorrect.  Either that, or I have a different idea of what this feature is supposed to do, which may also be the case.

...Mike
---
Mac OS X 10.6.3
PM 4.6.5

Offline Bill Kelly

• Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2008, 11:27:25 AM »
Hi Mike,

Also, the goal of making incremental download fast is laudable, but should not be the primary goal. Ensuring that all new files -- only ONLY new files -- are downloaded should be the goal.  I have a feeling that if you expressed that doing so may take longer to perform the initial scan, people would be more understanding about it.

Many of the features in Photo Mechanic were implemented based on requests by users with specific needs.  If I recall correctly, Incremental Ingest came about due to requests from users with the following workflow:

- Snap some photos on a card
  - Ingest the photos
  - Snap some more photos on the same card
  - Quickly ingest only the new photos on the card since last time

Of course, I am only one user, so take what I suggest with a grain of salt.  But this broken implementation that relies on file properties that are easily changed both by the user and by PM itself seems to be incorrect.  Either that, or I have a different idea of what this feature is supposed to do, which may also be the case.

Photo Mechanic remembers the attributes of the original file on the card when it was ingested.  So it won't matter if the local copy of the file is modified.

Incremental Ingest keeps a database of filenames and their attributes previously ingested from a given card, and skips any files presently on the card having an exact match in the database.

If the card is erased or reformatted, then we forget about the database pertaining to that card and start over.

We've tried to design Incremental Ingest to be fast and reliable, but it does treat every card separately.

Regards,

Bill

Offline Mike-D

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2008, 11:35:05 AM »
Ah, well it looks like I'm trying to use this feature in a way other than it was designed to operate, which would explain why it's not doing what I'm looking for :)  I guess I will have to keep looking for a solution.

Thanks.

...Mike
---
Mac OS X 10.6.3
PM 4.6.5

Offline Mike-D

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2008, 06:30:57 AM »
Further to this, because PM modifies the files even though it's told not to, I can't use PM at all to download files at the moment.

I figured I could use PM to download the files off the portable drive, then open parallels and use Downloader Pro to dump and verify the cards.  But because PM modifies the files on download, DLP sees it as a problem file, and my system breaks down again.

Please, please add an option for DLP to just download the files. Don't add anything, don't remove anything, don't change anything. Just copy the files!

...Mike
---
Mac OS X 10.6.3
PM 4.6.5