Author Topic: 100% Zoom not 1:1 actual view?  (Read 7417 times)

Offline tzalmaves

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
100% Zoom not 1:1 actual view?
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:08:49 AM »
Hello All,

I'm confused about the "zooming" measurement.  A 3504x2336 RAW on my 1650x1050 screen is "93% zoom" when fit to screen, and that's obviously not correct.  When I go to 100% zoom, I'm not seeing a 1:1 representation of my RAW file.  How do I view a 1:1 representation of my RAW image?

-TM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: 100% Zoom not 1:1 actual view?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 09:32:41 AM »
I'm confused about the "zooming" measurement.  A 3504x2336 RAW on my 1650x1050 screen is "93% zoom" when fit to screen, and that's obviously not correct.  When I go to 100% zoom, I'm not seeing a 1:1 representation of my RAW file.  How do I view a 1:1 representation of my RAW image?

You're seeing a 100% view of your RAW file's embedded JPEG preview.  If the embedded preview is not 100% the size of your camera's sensor then you won't see an image that matches the size of your camera's sensor.

What camera do you have?
What OS are you running?
What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?

-Kirk

Offline tzalmaves

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 11:07:29 AM »
You're seeing a 100% view of your RAW file's embedded JPEG preview.  If the embedded preview is not 100% the size of your camera's sensor then you won't see an image that matches the size of your camera's sensor.

Ah, OK.  Is there a way to have the camera render a larger preview?

What camera do you have?
What OS are you running?

I'm using Canon 5D, 30D, and 20D.  Running PM 4.5.3.1 on XP Pro.

-TM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »

What camera do you have?
What OS are you running?

I know for certain that the 20D inserts a half-resolution preview which cannot be made larger.  I don't know about the 30D and the 5D.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:09:42 PM »

-TM

No, I don't think the camera's rendering of JPEG previews for RAW files can be enlarged.  My Canon cameras (1DMkII and 10D) embed half size previews in the RAW files, your cameras probably do the same.  But I convert the RAWs to DNG using Lightroom (wish I could use PM to convert my RAW files to DNG).  When converting to DNG you have the choice to have a full size JPEG preview embedded.  This works great and PM then displays the 100% full size JPEG preview.  You can also use Adobe's free DNG converter if you don't use Lightroom.