Author Topic: Can't Apply IPTC  (Read 2722 times)

Offline PaulP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't Apply IPTC
« on: May 09, 2008, 03:59:47 PM »
I using Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.2.  I seem to be unable to apply IPTC data to some images on an external FireWire drive.  I get the error on both JPG and NEF images.  I get the error, but in a different flavor, when applying to multiple images via the IPTC Stationery Pad or the IPTC Info window for a specific image.

When using the IPTC Stationery Pad I get the following message... "There were errors during the apply to selected operations."  When using the IPTC Info window for a specific image I get... "Error: Unable to save IPTC info."  I have attached, probably unnecessarily, screen shots of both error messages.

I can't seem to figure this one out.  Incidentally, I can change the star rating of an image, but not the IPTC.  I checked file permissions and all looks well to me.  Any idea what might be going on?

Sincerely,

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't Apply IPTC
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »
Paul,

I using Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.2.  I seem to be unable to apply IPTC data to some images on an external FireWire drive.  I get the error on both JPG and NEF images.  I get the error, but in a different flavor, when applying to multiple images via the IPTC Stationery Pad or the IPTC Info window for a specific image.

When using the IPTC Stationery Pad I get the following message... "There were errors during the apply to selected operations."  When using the IPTC Info window for a specific image I get... "Error: Unable to save IPTC info."  I have attached, probably unnecessarily, screen shots of both error messages.

I can't seem to figure this one out.  Incidentally, I can change the star rating of an image, but not the IPTC.  I checked file permissions and all looks well to me.  Any idea what might be going on?

If you copy the images that you cannot caption to your internal hard drive, does it make any difference?  If it doesn't, can you send us some sample files?

-Kirk

Offline PaulP

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Kirk,

Copied to my local hdd and the problem persists.  I did, however, notice something I had not noticed before.  It is saving the IPTC changes (at least the caption field), but still giving the error message.  I re-tested and this behavior is identical regardless of where the image is located (local or external hdd).

I'd be happy to forward along one or more sample images.  Is there a specific email address or individual I should forward them to?

Paul

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:55:54 PM »
Paul,

Copied to my local hdd and the problem persists.  I did, however, notice something I had not noticed before.  It is saving the IPTC changes (at least the caption field), but still giving the error message.  I re-tested and this behavior is identical regardless of where the image is located (local or external hdd).

I'd be happy to forward along one or more sample images.  Is there a specific email address or individual I should forward them to?

Contact me directly by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  Then click on the "personal message" link.  I will respond with instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk