Author Topic: Bridge labels not showing on NEF files  (Read 4429 times)

Offline John Dudak

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Bridge labels not showing on NEF files
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:12:57 AM »
I'm using Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.1 on a new Intel IMac running OS 10.5.2.

I shoot with Nikons in RAW mode.

If I change or add anything to the metadata, including labels and captions, it deletes any adjustments I made with Adobe Camera Raw to the NEF file.

Also, labels I add in PM will show up in Bridge, but if I make a change in Bridge it will not show up in PM.

I tried different settings in the IPTC/XMP preferences but it doesn't make any difference or I haven't found the right combination if I'm working on a NEF file.

If I'm working on a DNG file everything works fine both ways and changing metadata in PM doesn't delete the Adobe Camera Raw settings.

Is there a fix for the NEFs?

Thanks
John Dudak

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: Bridge labels not showing on NEF files
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:45:02 PM »

If I change or add anything to the metadata, including labels and captions, it deletes any adjustments I made with Adobe Camera Raw to the NEF file.

Also, labels I add in PM will show up in Bridge, but if I make a change in Bridge it will not show up in PM.

I tried different settings in the IPTC/XMP preferences but it doesn't make any difference or I haven't found the right combination if I'm working on a NEF file.

If I'm working on a DNG file everything works fine both ways and changing metadata in PM doesn't delete the Adobe Camera Raw settings.

John, as I don't use CS to edit my NEF files (I use Capture NX), I may be completely off.  But is it possible that bridge has not saved any of the edits (I guess it also saves the edits in an xml file), but kept them cached/in its own database (If I am not mistaken, PS (also) saves things in a database)?  This could explain the behaviour you are seeing: the bridge probably uses things like filename, size, datetime, etc. to determine what file it is dealing with and after editing with PM, some of these aspects get changed.

Again, I could be completely off ;-)

Cheers,
    Hayo

Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 02:27:34 PM »
John,

Use XMP sidecar files instead of embedding IPTC4XMP or IPTC into your NEF files.

You can use the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu to strip out any embedded captioning data and put it into XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline John Dudak

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 10:19:46 AM »
Kirk & Hayo,

Thanks. I was embedding the metadata and didn't realize it. Everything works fine now.

John Dudak

Offline Lisa H

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:34:57 AM »

Use XMP sidecar files instead of embedding IPTC4XMP or IPTC into your NEF files.

You can use the "Revert TIFF-based RAW to original" command on the Tools menu to strip out any embedded captioning data and put it into XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Where is the setting for XMP sidecar files?

thank you.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:50:44 PM »

-Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Where is the setting for XMP sidecar files?

thank you.

On the IPTC/XMP tab of the Photo Mechanic Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline Lisa H

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »
ahhh...okay I found that box but still don't see something that says 'use XMP sidecar files'....
(at least I am getting closer, before I was looking in Bridge :)  )

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 02:34:34 PM »
ahhh...okay I found that box but still don't see something that says 'use XMP sidecar files'....
(at least I am getting closer, before I was looking in Bridge :)  )

Your settings look good here.  Next you'll need to go to the General tab of the Preferences dialog and choose the same Color Class labels as you use for Labels in Adobe Bridge.  That should do it.

-Kirk