Author Topic: Merging GPS log  (Read 18417 times)

Offline jmmcg9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Merging GPS log
« on: May 10, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »
I just heard about a relatively cheap ($65) GPS data logger system "Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger" on the TWIP (This Week in Photography) podcast. This small device logs GPS coordinate data. Then by making sure the times are synced between your PC, camera, and the AGL3080 GPS data can be added to to the image metadata. The log is a std NMEA format (whatever that means.....)
My current workflow is to import with Photo Mechanic, do most post processing with Capture NX, followed by Photoshop where needed. Is there a simple way to merge this type of data in Photo Mechanic? ???
Thx, Joe Mac

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Merging GPS log
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »
Joe Mac,

I just heard about a relatively cheap ($65) GPS data logger system "Amod AGL3080 GPS Data Logger" on the TWIP (This Week in Photography) podcast. This small device logs GPS coordinate data. Then by making sure the times are synced between your PC, camera, and the AGL3080 GPS data can be added to to the image metadata. The log is a std NMEA format (whatever that means.....)
My current workflow is to import with Photo Mechanic, do most post processing with Capture NX, followed by Photoshop where needed. Is there a simple way to merge this type of data in Photo Mechanic? ???

No, there is currently no way to import GPS coordinate data into Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline Thilo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:54:55 AM »
I also would reallly like to get this feature in Photo Mechanic.

I'm using a GPS-logger too, as I do not want to attach GPS-receivers to both of my D3 and D300 bodies. I prefer the external GPS as it does not affect battery-life and weather-sealing of the camera.

I'm currently using Geosetter (http://www.geosetter.de/en/index.html) but would really prefer to get this function into Photo Mechanic as it became my default tool for browsing images, editing IPTC etc. It shouldt be no problem to sync the GPS-data from the Standard NMEA-format to the RAW-image-files (GPS data and image contains timestamp).

I couldt provide one of this GPS log-files if necessary.

With the best regards
Thilo

Offline scwerden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2008, 08:47:46 PM »
I too am looking for a better way.

After just returning from Yosemite with some 300 pictures to catalog, this is what I'm doing till someone has a better way, and not wanting to spend a longtime in the darkroom, so to speak. At this point I do not want a GPS logger (one more thing) and something attached to my D300.

I first sort my pictures in PM as to a general location and put them in folders. I use Google Earth + a plug in from "Ogle Earth" called "Crosshairs" and another small program called "Geotagger vr 1.2. Open Google Earth and find the location where a folder of pictures were taken, say, "Mirror Lake", move Google Earth so the crosshair is over the general location. Now, open that folder and select all the photos and drag them over the icon of Geotagger and I'm done. Yes, all those photos within that folder have the same GPS location but at least I'm within a few hundred feel. For any few special photos I can get more precise GPS by using Google Earth.

Not pretty but a least their tagged with something and in PM.

Stoqwell

Offline hobo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
You may want to look at the SONY  GPS-GS1 data logger.

It comes with software that will merge the GPS coordinates with the pictures and it does a good job.

Basically the unit keeps a log and updates it every 15 seconds.  It is important that the date and time on your camera(s) are accurate since the merge function will look at the time stamp of each photo and look at the time stamp of the GPS log entries and make a match.

Save the merged photos to a folder and ingest from there.

hobo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 04:49:48 PM »
Joe Mac and others in this thread,

I am now working on a feature for Photo Mechanic for importing GPS log files onto a set of photos.  I also now have the Amod unit.  I need sample files from as many different units as possible.  I don't need samples from the Amod unit since I have one ready to go.

If anyone is interested in sending us log files from their GPS data logger, please click on my name to the left of this message, then click on the 'personal message' link.  I will respond with upload instructions.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline scwerden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 10:16:20 PM »
 :)THIS IS VERY GOOD NEWS!
THANKS
STOWELL

Offline scwerden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 07:41:28 PM »
I just bought an AMOD GPS Logger and using JetPhoto 3.1 (included) found out that although my photo were accurately tagged they seem to be locked inside a proprietary fold, and as has been pointed out above, will not import into PhotoMechanic - has anyone upgraded to JetPhoto Pro to see if you can actually write the EXIF data to the original JPG photo. I'm not anxious to upgrade if PRO version still does not import to PhotoMechanic or write to the original photo. I have sent them an e-mail but time passes and have not heard from them.

Stowell

Offline jmmcg9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 08:18:24 PM »
Stowell,
I have the AMOD, but do not use the JetPro software. I found a solution that works, but it requires two shareware applications. I use GPSBabel+ (http://www.gpsbabel.org/) to convert the tracking file from NMEA 0183 sentences format into the GPX format. Then I use GPSPhotoLinker (http://www.earlyinnovations.com/gpsphotolinker/) to link the Tags to the Photos. Once you do it a couple of times it becomes a simple process.
The GPS data shows up in Photo Mechanic, Capture NX2, and Photoshop CS3. Note I am doing this on a Macbook Pro. I'm not sure if these shareware programs work on Windows. Kirk's direct import into Photo Mechanic solution would greatly simplify my work flow.
Cheers, Joe Mac
PS I got this solution from Aaron Mahler at TWIP (http://twipphoto.com/).

Offline scwerden

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 05:12:35 PM »
jmmcg9 et all,
Thank you for your excellent solution, but before I download yet two more programs on my Mac I thought I'd try the upgrade to JetPhoto Pro Vr. 3.1($25) and see what it does. In addition to excellent Google Earth integration it DOES export Geo locations to your JPG photos into their proprietary folder. Your can then select some or all your photo and drag them into another folder and then drop that folder onto PhotoMechanic.

This solution at present is my personal favorite until PhotoMechanic get a better solution.

THanks again for you help.
Stowell

Offline charlesteton

• View Profile
    • www.charlesteton.com
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 01:18:46 PM »
Me too, I'm interested if I can use G3 iPhone and one of the iPhone apps out there.

Offline jmmcg9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »
Kirk,
Am I safe in assuming that the Amod unit will work with the 4.6 update?
Cheers, Joe Mac

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 07:07:35 PM »
Joe,

Am I safe in assuming that the Amod unit will work with the 4.6 update?

It should.  Please get the beta and give it a try.

-Kirk

Offline jmmcg9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »
Will do. I'm heading to California next with D200 & AMOD in hand. I'll let you know how it works.
Cheers, Joe
PS Thx for listening to our requests for new features!

Offline jmmcg9

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 02:35:44 PM »
 ;D Kirk,
I just got back from California where I took about 700 images in the from Ventura to Santa Barbara to Solvang. I used my AMOD AGL3080 to track GPS data. Every time the unit is powered down it creates a file. I had 5 GPS files from the trip. Photo Mechanic successfully combined the GPS coordinates with my photos. Needless to say, I am ecstatic about the addition of this feature to Photo Mechanic. It eliminates the use of two share ware programs from my work flow.
I did have a "cockpit" problem during the initial import. The locations were in the general area, but were significantly off ( I actually took a pic of a street sign for testing purposes). I discovered that you need to add an offset for camera time relative to GMT. Once I added the -8hr offset & reimported the GPS files all locations came out as expected! Note I did have a PM crash when testing the reimport on one image. I reported as much as I could remember when I restarted PM & it provided a feedback form. I tried again without issue.
I also wanted to comment on the intuitive implementation of the GPS import feature. If you had any notes or forum communications on the details, I did not read them. I was very concerned about trying to combine 5 separate GPS files with my images. (I had visions of combining files with a text editor). This was not an issue. I simply "added" the 5 files & PM somehow looked at the composite data without my intervention.
In summary, thx for listening and providing a World Class solution for the GPS feature. There is a lot of confusing information and confusing software solutions on this topic on the internet. This feature alone justifies the upgrade I just purchased !