Author Topic: After ingest files no longer playable on camera  (Read 6572 times)

Offline bpoulsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
After ingest files no longer playable on camera
« on: May 19, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »
I just got a new mac (Macbook Pro 15") which means I'm now running OS 10.5.2.

I've installed the latest version of Photo Mechanic and set it up like I had it on my old mac (powerbook G4).

I've set up Photo Mechanic to open a contact sheet with the photos on the CF card when the computer sees a mounted CF card. I mark/tag the pictures I want and copy them to the computer. I don't delete/move the images on the CF card when I transfer the files I want to keep.

I eject the CF card and put it into my Canon EOS-1D Mark II N and if I want to view the images on the card, it says "Cannot playback image". It's only the files I've tagged/marked that has this problem. Even if I untag them in Photo Mechanic before putting the card back into the camera I get the same problem.

Has anybody experienced this? Anybody got a solution as to what the problem might be?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: After ingest files no longer playable on camera
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:19:29 AM »
I just got a new mac (Macbook Pro 15") which means I'm now running OS 10.5.2.

I've installed the latest version of Photo Mechanic and set it up like I had it on my old mac (powerbook G4).

I've set up Photo Mechanic to open a contact sheet with the photos on the CF card when the computer sees a mounted CF card. I mark/tag the pictures I want and copy them to the computer. I don't delete/move the images on the CF card when I transfer the files I want to keep.

I eject the CF card and put it into my Canon EOS-1D Mark II N and if I want to view the images on the card, it says "Cannot playback image". It's only the files I've tagged/marked that has this problem. Even if I untag them in Photo Mechanic before putting the card back into the camera I get the same problem.

Has anybody experienced this? Anybody got a solution as to what the problem might be?

It depends on your settings.  You may be instructing PM to embed metadata into your RAW files so when you do those edits, the file is modified.

We don't recommend ever editing on the card.  Use Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature and then work with your images.

-Kirk

Offline bpoulsen

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 01:35:19 PM »

It depends on your settings.  You may be instructing PM to embed metadata into your RAW files so when you do those edits, the file is modified.
We don't recommend ever editing on the card.  Use Photo Mechanic's Ingest feature and then work with your images.

-Kirk

Where do I tell PM to do that? Only thing I can see is that it is added INTO the copied files from the copy dialog box that comes with CMD + Y.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 01:59:37 PM »

-Kirk

Where do I tell PM to do that? Only thing I can see is that it is added INTO the copied files from the copy dialog box that comes with CMD + Y.

Check the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.

-Kirk