Author Topic: Web export filenames  (Read 2355 times)

Offline tomr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Web export filenames
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:36 PM »
I am exporting dng images using the PM Classic template. If I tick the box 'use original filenames for images' the files are named 'filename.dng.jpg'. Could they be named just 'filename.jpg' or is this a bug?

Windows XP
PM 4.5.3 & 4.5.3.2

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Web export filenames
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:44:20 PM »
Tom,

I am exporting dng images using the PM Classic template. If I tick the box 'use original filenames for images' the files are named 'filename.dng.jpg'. Could they be named just 'filename.jpg' or is this a bug?

This is done on purpose to deal with the case where you have a JPEG and a DNG with the same base name in the same contact sheet.  If we didn't just append .jpg onto your DNG filename then one of the images would overwrite the other and then both images would look exactly the same in the web gallery, even if they didn't look the same in the contact sheet.

The exporter would have to know a lot more about the images in the contact sheet so it could see if there would be any collisions and if there weren't any, it could just strip the name down to the base name and then add .jpg onto it.  It just isn't that smart currently.

-Kirk

Offline tomr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Web export filenames
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:54:15 AM »
Many thanks for the explanation.

Tom