Author Topic: Modify the "FTP As" and "Save As" dialog boxes?  (Read 8844 times)

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
Modify the "FTP As" and "Save As" dialog boxes?
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:31 PM »
Hi Kirk,

(Win XP SP-3; PM 4.5.3)

When I use the “FTP AS” or the “Save As” dialogs, I try to arrive at a 1.2 MB file size at 300 dpi.

I achieve 1.2 MB by first inputting the dpi number, and then by moving the jpeg quality slider, and I usually have to adjust the quality slider for each and every file I process.

I wonder if an option were added to the  “FTP As” and “Save As” dialog boxes, so one could input the target file size and the resolution, and have PM  automatically adjust the compression .

Then one could type in the desired parameters only once, and forever skip a step in the workflow.

Is it possible to do?

Many thanks, Nati

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Modify the "FTP As" and "Save As" dialog boxes?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:17:18 PM »
Nati,

(Win XP SP-3; PM 4.5.3)

When I use the “FTP AS” or the “Save As” dialogs, I try to arrive at a 1.2 MB file size at 300 dpi.

I achieve 1.2 MB by first inputting the dpi number, and then by moving the jpeg quality slider, and I usually have to adjust the quality slider for each and every file I process.

I wonder if an option were added to the  “FTP As” and “Save As” dialog boxes, so one could input the target file size and the resolution, and have PM  automatically adjust the compression .

Then one could type in the desired parameters only once, and forever skip a step in the workflow.

Is it possible to do?

Well, yes it could be possible to be written that way, but the compression would take a fair amount longer because the quality would have to be adjusted repeatedly to get the desired file size.  How critical is it that you deliver a 1.2 MB file size?

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:24:21 PM »
Kirk,

If you are asking if the files I send have to be exactly 1.2 MB, then the answer is no.
I'm told to send a 1.2 MB file, but I believe that to be a ballpark figure.   
I think I could vary about 100K above or below that size, so instead of inputting an exact value in the "Save As" dialog box, one could specify a +/- 50K or 100K size range? Would that make things less complicated? (and less slow?)
Speed matters of course, I don't want to slow the program down.
n

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:32:14 PM »
Nati,

If you are asking if the files I send have to be exactly 1.2 MB, then the answer is no.
I'm told to send a 1.2 MB file, but I believe that to be a ballpark figure.   
I think I could vary about 100K above or below that size, so instead of inputting an exact value in the "Save As" dialog box, one could specify a +/- 50K or 100K size range? Would that make things less complicated? (and less slow?)
Speed matters of course, I don't want to slow the program down.

If you dial in the settings so that you're getting an estimate of 1.2 MB on the first photo, are the remaining photos nowhere near that size?

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 06:48:41 AM »
Kirk,
While the files in a shoot may be similar, and compress in more or less the same way, it is the cropping of the images that make for the file size variations.
So I find I need to manually adjust just about every image.

n

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
Your question got me thinking...

my camera produces files that are 3500 pixels long.
So what happens if in the "Save As" and "FTP As" dialogs I upsize the cropped image to 3500 pixels, and then use the quality slider (third click from the left in my case) to get the 1.2 MB?
I would get an "automatic" sizing regardless of my crop.
When zoomed to 100%, I do not see a difference in image quality, though it stands to reason there would be some.
Does this make sense?
n

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »
Nati,

Your question got me thinking...

my camera produces files that are 3500 pixels long.
So what happens if in the "Save As" and "FTP As" dialogs I upsize the cropped image to 3500 pixels, and then use the quality slider (third click from the left in my case) to get the 1.2 MB?
I would get an "automatic" sizing regardless of my crop.
When zoomed to 100%, I do not see a difference in image quality, though it stands to reason there would be some.
Does this make sense?

Yes, but the image quality due to the variances in the scaling could be substantial.  If you just found your largest (cropped pixel size) image and made its output size be 1.2 MB then all of the smaller (cropped pixel size) images would have the same quality but would be less than 1.2 MB in size.  You could create a custom sort that used {cropwidth}{cropheight} which would in effect sort your images by cropped size.  Pick the largest one and get your JPEG quality setting set for that one image and then keep that quality setting for the entire set of images.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 10:11:37 PM »
Hi Kirk,
Well, I see I am finally a proud “junior member” of the forum.
My idea to automate the image size is taking me no where, so have decided to give it a rest..
I did find that Photoshop (actually ImageReady) has a function that does what I was seeking.
One uses the File / “Save for Web” option in photoshop, and then one clicks the “optimize for web” circle with triangle below the Save/Cancel/Done bars, and there one chooses “Optimize to file size”.
It is not my favorite route because I was trying to avoid using photoshop in my work flow, and also I have difficulty automating that “Save for Web” menu. 
Still, I appreciate your patience while answering my questions.
n

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:10:56 PM »
How critical is it that you deliver a 1.2 MB file size?

In (well some of) my cases it is absolutely necessary to produce (at maximum) a given filesize, since the system won't let use files larger than the given size. In cases of some of our web uses this may be at most 150 kb per image. Other uses of course allow larger sizes but the maximum size is also carved into stone (or maybe a firewall).
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com