Author Topic: Understanding Color Profiles  (Read 2420 times)

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Understanding Color Profiles
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:53:02 AM »
Hi,

I'm using Photo Mechanic on a laptop (Thinkpad) and I downloaded the color profile to be used with this screen, from Lenovo. The thing is that I can chose this color profile in Expression Media and ACDSee, but this is not an option with PM. It simply doesn't show up in the Color Profile Management list. As a result the photos in PM appear a little too yellowish when using sRGB. The photos are straight from the camera (JPGs) and have not been modified.

How do I use this Color Profile with PM?

Is there a difference between embedding a color profile like sRGB and a color profile that is meant for a specific monitor? Looking at the Color Profiles in ACDSee I see they let you choose one for output on screen or printer and a different one as "input" (i.e. using embedded profile). I guess embedding my Thinkpad-profile would be a bad idea if I'm also viewing the photos on a different computer.

Thanks in advance,
-iau

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Understanding Color Profiles
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 05:07:51 PM »
I'm using Photo Mechanic on a laptop (Thinkpad) and I downloaded the color profile to be used with this screen, from Lenovo. The thing is that I can chose this color profile in Expression Media and ACDSee, but this is not an option with PM. It simply doesn't show up in the Color Profile Management list. As a result the photos in PM appear a little too yellowish when using sRGB. The photos are straight from the camera (JPGs) and have not been modified.

How do I use this Color Profile with PM?

Assign the color profile to your monitor with the Displays control panel.  Photo Mechanic uses the monitor's current color profile when color management is turned on.

Quote from: iau
Is there a difference between embedding a color profile like sRGB and a color profile that is meant for a specific monitor? Looking at the Color Profiles in ACDSee I see they let you choose one for output on screen or printer and a different one as "input" (i.e. using embedded profile). I guess embedding my Thinkpad-profile would be a bad idea if I'm also viewing the photos on a different computer.

You shouldn't ever embed a calibrated monitor profile in an image.  An embedded color profile describes the color space that was used to take the image.  For most cameras this is either sRGB or the larger gamut Adobe RGB.  Some medium format cameras have even larger color gamuts.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline iau

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Color Profiles
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 12:17:19 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply!

- iau