Author Topic: Star Ratings/Color Class Should be on One Bar  (Read 7465 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Star Ratings/Color Class Should be on One Bar
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:24:46 PM »
In a contact sheet, we see thumbnails with the prominent color class/star rating bar centered under the image.  This is excellent because we can see the rating/color class bar easily and instantly because it is centered and quite prominent.

But I like to rate and color classify images from the preview screen because the images are bigger and I can evaluate them faster and more accurately.  Unfortunately, on the preview screen, there is a small star rating bar on the lower left side and a small color bar on the lower right side.  To me it is difficult to see both bars at the same time because they are too far apart and too small and I have to keep shifting my eyes right to left to see the ratings or colors.  I would much prefer a significantly larger single bar that combines star ratings and color class, centered under the image just like on contact sheets.  The DAM program IDImager has this configuration and it is much faster and easier to see what your ratings/colors are.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Re: Star Ratings/Color Class Should be on One Bar
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »
On related note, it would be nice if there was a colour setting (among the other colour settingsi in the prefs for contact sheet background etc) for differentiating tagged photos, or something similar to make them stand out more especially in Preview mode. The tiny gray tick is just too small for consistently seeing if it's tagged or not, and sometimes I end up untagging already in-camera tagged photos when in a deadline hurry.

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 11:27:11 AM »
On related note, it would be nice if there was a colour setting (among the other colour settingsi in the prefs for contact sheet background etc) for differentiating tagged photos, or something similar to make them stand out more especially in Preview mode. The tiny gray tick is just too small for consistently seeing if it's tagged or not, and sometimes I end up untagging already in-camera tagged photos when in a deadline hurry.

Yes, I could not agree more.  This tagging issue was going to be another feature request but you beat me to it.  The tiny check mark is way too small and too hard to see, a color setting or a much bigger tag mark would be a huge improvement.  And it is difficult to hit the tiny tag box with the mouse.

Plus I have another request regarding tags.  Tagging (and everything else) should be consistent among different parts of the program.  In a contact sheet we tag images with the + or - keys.  But in Previews we tag with the T key???  This is not intuitive and causes delay and mistakes.  Please make the shortcuts consistent across the whole program.

Actually my main request regarding shortcuts is that they be user customizable.  No matter what shortcut key the developer picks for shortcuts, many users will find that choice annoying.  At least give us some programmable shortcut keys (10-20) so we can put our favorite commands where we want them.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 12:34:30 PM »
It may be obvious but the tagging is also possible with the t key - and at least for me a great way to do it versus mousing around.  :)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 12:39:19 PM »
Plus I have another request regarding tags.  Tagging (and everything else) should be consistent among different parts of the program.  In a contact sheet we tag images with the + or - keys.  But in Previews we tag with the T key???  This is not intuitive and causes delay and mistakes.  Please make the shortcuts consistent across the whole program.

Bill, t key does indeed also work in the contact sheet...

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 05:46:13 AM »

Bill, t key does indeed also work in the contact sheet...

Thanks Frantisek and Pavel, I did discover that the T key works in both Previews and the Contact Sheet but my feature request was that PM become consistent among different parts of the program.  The User Manual also specifies the + and - keys as shortcuts for tagging in the Contact Sheet but only the T key in Previews.  I did not see the T key in the Contact Sheel list of shortcuts at first and started to use +/- which was confusing and slowed me down until I discovered that the T key worked in both places.  Just hoping more consistency will help other new users and make PM faster and easier for all of us.

And I am still hoping for user customizable shortcut keys.  :)