Author Topic: Two problems with Rating/Color Class  (Read 6230 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Two problems with Rating/Color Class
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:12:20 PM »
My main problem is that there is no keyboard shortcut for BOTH star ratings and color class.  In preferences, I can choose the number pad as a single key shortcut for star rating OR color class, but not both at the same time.  Supposedly, if I press the Shift key (I use XP Pro), the number pad would then allow me to add ratings or color class, whichever one was not selected for single key shortcuts in Preferences.  But the shift key does not work, at least for me.  Could be a bug in the program or a problem specific to my computer.

The second problem is similar in that I cannot rate or color classify any more than a single image at a time using the keyboard.  If I select multiple images, neither ratings nor color class can be applied using the number pad.  Again this might be a bug or a problem specific to my computer.  I am able to rate and add color class to multiple images using the mouse (right click or regular menus) but this is very slow and difficult.

Right now I am using PM 4.5.3.2 but I had the same problem using 4.5.3.1.

Can anyone confirm that the shift key works properly on Windows machines and that you can rate or add color class to multiple images using the number keys?  If PM works properly for others, I guess the problem is specific to my computer.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
Re: Two problems with Rating/Color Class
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 11:13:05 AM »
I referred to the Shift key in my original post but I should have also said that the Ctrl key does not work either.
The manual seems inconsistent on whether the Shift or Ctrl key is supposed to permit color class entries when star rating is selected for single key shortcut and visa versa.  In any event, neither the Shift key nor the Ctrl key work to allow me to set the rating or color class from the number pad.  The single key shortcut works from the number pad but I am limited to star rating or colors and cannot enter both types of ratings from the number pad without changing the single key shortcut setting in preferences.  Still hoping to find out if this is a bug or a problem limited to my computer.

Regards

Bill Wood

Edit:

OOpps, I just discovered that in Preview mode I can use the Alt key to set the star rating from the number pad when color class is selected for single ket shortcuts in Preferences.  Neither Shift, Ctrl or Alt work in Contact Sheet mode.

I then discovered that in Preview mode the Ctrl key allows me to change the color class from the number pad when star rating is selected for single key shortcuts in Preferences.   This seems inconsistent and counterintuitive.  We must use the Alt key in one instance and the Ctrl key in the other instance depending on how we set single key shortcut in Preferences.  The owners manual does not make this clear which has made it difficult for me to learn this area of the program.

And as noted above the behavior of the program is different in the contact sheet vs the preview mode, namely, none of the modifier keys work in the contact sheet to allow entry of both star ratings and color class from the number pad.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 12:01:47 PM by William R Wood »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:57:54 AM »
Bill,

I referred to the Shift key in my original post but I should have also said that the Ctrl key does not work either.
The manual seems inconsistent on whether the Shift or Ctrl key is supposed to permit color class entries when star rating is selected for single key shortcut and visa versa.  In any event, neither the Shift key nor the Ctrl key work to allow me to set the rating or color class from the number pad.  The single key shortcut works from the number pad but I am limited to star rating or colors and cannot enter both types of ratings from the number pad without changing the single key shortcut setting in preferences.  Still hoping to find out if this is a bug or a problem limited to my computer.

Edit:

OOpps, I just discovered that in Preview mode I can use the Alt key to set the star rating from the number pad when color class is selected for single ket shortcuts in Preferences.  Neither Shift, Ctrl or Alt work in Contact Sheet mode.

I will make it so that Alt+numeric keys 0-5 will set the rating in the Contact Sheet.  I'll see if I can get it into the 4.5.3.2 update.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 08:50:05 AM »
Bill,

Edit:

I will make it so that Alt+numeric keys 0-5 will set the rating in the Contact Sheet.  I'll see if I can get it into the 4.5.3.2 update.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Great thanks, that will be very helpful.

Any chance that you can also look at the multiple selection problem in the contact sheet as well.  I cannot set star rating or color class from the keyboard if I select more than one image in the contact sheet.  Neither Ctrl, Shift nor Alt work on multiple images.  If I right click on one of multiple selected images with the mouse, only that one image can be set to a color class, the rest of the selection is ignored.  There is not even an option to set star rating in the right-click popup menu.  The only way to apply color class and/or star rating to multiple selected images is to use the main menu: Image/Set Color Class or Image/Set Rating which is pretty slow.

Regards and thanks again.

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 09:54:21 AM »
Bill,

Edit:

Great thanks, that will be very helpful.

Any chance that you can also look at the multiple selection problem in the contact sheet as well.  I cannot set star rating or color class from the keyboard if I select more than one image in the contact sheet.  Neither Ctrl, Shift nor Alt work on multiple images.  If I right click on one of multiple selected images with the mouse, only that one image can be set to a color class, the rest of the selection is ignored.  There is not even an option to set star rating in the right-click popup menu.  The only way to apply color class and/or star rating to multiple selected images is to use the main menu: Image/Set Color Class or Image/Set Rating which is pretty slow.

That's because you're using the numeric keypad along with the Alt-key.  If you used the number keys on the main part of the keyboard along with the Alt key it would work fine.

The change I described will fix the issue of having one or more images selected and using Alt-numeric 0-5 not working.

I have tested the change and can confirm that it is fixed for any number of images being selected.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 11:16:48 AM »
Bill,

That's because you're using the numeric keypad along with the Alt-key.  If you used the number keys on the main part of the keyboard along with the Alt key it would work fine.

The change I described will fix the issue of having one or more images selected and using Alt-numeric 0-5 not working.

I have tested the change and can confirm that it is fixed for any number of images being selected.

-Kirk

[/quote]

Kirk,

Yes, thanks, I just tried that and as usual you are correct.  Can't believe I did not find that myself.

Anyway, I am so used to using the number pad instead of the numbers along the top of the main keyboard that I am hoping there is some way you could make the number pad work as well.  I tried turning NumLock off but that did not help.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2008, 12:02:47 PM »
Bill,

Quote from: William R Wood

Kirk,

Yes, thanks, I just tried that and as usual you are correct.  Can't believe I did not find that myself.

Anyway, I am so used to using the number pad instead of the numbers along the top of the main keyboard that I am hoping there is some way you could make the number pad work as well.  I tried turning NumLock off but that did not help.

Like I said earlier, this is fixed and the fix will appear in the 4.5.3.2 update.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »
Bill,

Like I said earlier, this is fixed and the fix will appear in the 4.5.3.2 update.

-Kirk

Thanks again.  I guess I did not understand that you fixed that part as well.

Regards

Bill Wood