Author Topic: Saving soft cropped RAW files  (Read 2385 times)

Offline mlcampbell2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Saving soft cropped RAW files
« on: May 23, 2008, 09:33:54 PM »
I have made a few quick crop adjustments to files in PM.  When I try to save them so that I can see the revisions in CS3 to do more editing, PM give me an error message that none of the selected files can be saved at high resolution.  Is there a way I can save my Canon RAW files with the soft crops made in PM so that I can continue to work on the revised image in CS3???

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
... Mary

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Saving soft cropped RAW files
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »
Mary,

I have made a few quick crop adjustments to files in PM.  When I try to save them so that I can see the revisions in CS3 to do more editing, PM give me an error message that none of the selected files can be saved at high resolution.  Is there a way I can save my Canon RAW files with the soft crops made in PM so that I can continue to work on the revised image in CS3???

Not directly.  You can extract the JPEG previews from your RAW files and then crop and save the JPEGs.  In general, Photo Mechanic is not a RAW converter so it cannot render your RAW files to produce output files.  The Mac version can use Apple's ImageIO to render most RAW files which can be cropped and saved.  You didn't specify, but I'd guess that you're using the Windows version of Photo Mechanic which has no capability to render RAW files.

That said, I am working on version 4.6 of Photo Mechanic now and it will (I've completed the feature already) have the ability to Save As with crops on most RAW formats by using the embedded JPEG preview as the source image.

-Kirk

Offline mlcampbell2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Saving soft cropped RAW files
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 01:36:53 AM »
Kirk,
Thanks for your response.  I look forward to having this capability in the future version.
... Mary