Author Topic: {folder} variable on FTP  (Read 16867 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
{folder} variable on FTP
« on: June 05, 2008, 09:07:04 PM »
I tried to use the {folder} variable during FPT upload of photos but it didn't work as I expected. Instead of creating a folder on the FTP matching the name of the folder my images are stored on my computer it created a folder named {folder} on the FPT. It would be really great if PM could use its variables in FPT directory names and in save as dialogs as well. This could result in better automation of saving/FTP-ing.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: {folder} variable on FTP
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:12:58 PM »
I tried to use the {folder} variable during FPT upload of photos but it didn't work as I expected. Instead of creating a folder on the FTP matching the name of the folder my images are stored on my computer it created a folder named {folder} on the FPT. It would be really great if PM could use its variables in FPT directory names and in save as dialogs as well. This could result in better automation of saving/FTP-ing.

Most of what you're asking for is coming in version 4.6.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 10:12:48 PM »

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, it is good to know that (almost) all my wishes come true. PM is really a great app!
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 10:49:04 AM »

-Kirk

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2715.msg13359#msg13359
Some long time ago I also suggested options to enable FTP sending to generate a riport what has been sent including the FPT pahts as well that could be (maybe even from PM itself) be sent in e-mail. This would be great because I think almost everyone uploading images to clients sends an e-mail that the stuff has been uploded (to where).

It would be great if PM finnishing the upload would offer this e-mail, reminding me to send it and also providing the info (it used) to send details in the e-mail.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
szurkebarat,

Some long time ago I also suggested options to enable FTP sending to generate a riport what has been sent including the FPT pahts as well that could be (maybe even from PM itself) be sent in e-mail. This would be great because I think almost everyone uploading images to clients sends an e-mail that the stuff has been uploded (to where).

It would be great if PM finnishing the upload would offer this e-mail, reminding me to send it and also providing the info (it used) to send details in the e-mail.

We're going to be adding an optional log file.  It won't be automatically emailed however.  Maybe in a later version.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
szurkebarat,

We're going to be adding an optional log file.  It won't be automatically emailed however.  Maybe in a later version.

-Kirk

It is good to hear. Maybe automatically emailing it isn't necessary. However it would simplify things since one may leave PM unattended to upload during the night or during a work.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 09:22:06 AM »

Hi there Kirk,

I just recently upgraded to 4.6, and I too am very interested in using the {folder} variable in FTP uploads.

I just did a test, and while it seems that it did create a new folder name during the upload, that folder was called "FTPSession_3068827_5" - which I assume is the name of the folder where the files to be transfered are stored temporarily before being uploaded. I was really hoping that the {folder} variable would be able to create a folder on the server with the same name as the folder that the images were in before sending, using my own naming scheme.

Is this a glitch, or are those strange unique folder names intentional?

Furthermore for this functionality:

I'd love to see this able to work with multiple folders open in a combined contact sheet. If I'm browsing a contact sheet that represents multiple folders, I'd hope that uploading using the {folder} variable could either replicate that folder structure on the server.

I'd also like to see the {folder} variable working in the Photoshelter uploader and all the rest.

As always, many thanks for your hard work on this great program!

-jj

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 11:03:46 AM »
jj,

I just recently upgraded to 4.6, and I too am very interested in using the {folder} variable in FTP uploads.

I just did a test, and while it seems that it did create a new folder name during the upload, that folder was called "FTPSession_3068827_5" - which I assume is the name of the folder where the files to be transfered are stored temporarily before being uploaded. I was really hoping that the {folder} variable would be able to create a folder on the server with the same name as the folder that the images were in before sending, using my own naming scheme.

Is this a glitch, or are those strange unique folder names intentional?

Please try the 4.6.1 beta 7 available in the Announcements section of the forums.  Let me know if you get better results.

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 11:19:20 AM »
Hi again Kirk,

Please try the 4.6.1 beta 7 available in the Announcements section of the forums.  Let me know if you get better results.

-Kirk

I finally got around to trying the new beta-> it's still creating folders called "{folder}", at least with the photoshelter uploader...

-jj

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 11:28:04 AM »
JJ,

Hi again Kirk,

I finally got around to trying the new beta-> it's still creating folders called "{folder}", at least with the photoshelter uploader...

Because the files are placed an a cached location during upload, the {folder} variable isn't going to do what you want, even if you could get it to evaluate.  It would be the wrong location.  I suggest using an unused field in the IPTC data to store the folder before the upload and then try using the variable for the field you chose.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline jjtiziou

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
Because the files are placed an a cached location during upload, the {folder} variable isn't going to do what you want, even if you could get it to evaluate.  It would be the wrong location.  I suggest using an unused field in the IPTC data to store the folder before the upload and then try using the variable for the field you chose.

Yup- I understand the issue with the cached location... but this seems like a bit of an awkward workaround... If it's just me wanting this, then forget about it, but it strikes me as a functionality that would be used by a lot of folks... and it looks like this thread is getting a lot of views, so maybe that supports this?

If not the {folder} variable, might there be an option to create a new variable for "folder that these images were sent from"?
Or a check box for "create folder/album with same name as source folder"?
Of course the implementation of this would probably have to vary a bit depending on which service it's being uploaded to, and that's a pain... but if we've got the ability to make folders on the server, it just seems totally intuitive to me that we should be able to replicate the source folder that the images came from...

Anyone else interested in this functionality? Please chime in..

As always, many thanks,
-jj

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:02:10 PM »
For my workflow now I wouldn't use this feature much. But I can imagine situations it would help.

By the way. Has there been any change made to temporary files made for FTP uploads being flushed any time earlier than PM restarts?

I usually don't quit PM for weeks or even months (my computer only goes to sleep no power off or shutdown). And I usually have large contact sheets open and sometimes I have to FTP thousands of images this way temporary files never flush and keep consuming large amounts of disk sizes. I would really hate to quit and restart PM more often than I would need by myself only for flushing unneeded temporary files.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »
For my workflow now I wouldn't use this feature much. But I can imagine situations it would help.

By the way. Has there been any change made to temporary files made for FTP uploads being flushed any time earlier than PM restarts?

I usually don't quit PM for weeks or even months (my computer only goes to sleep no power off or shutdown). And I usually have large contact sheets open and sometimes I have to FTP thousands of images this way temporary files never flush and keep consuming large amounts of disk sizes. I would really hate to quit and restart PM more often than I would need by myself only for flushing unneeded temporary files.

Yes, we added code to delete the files from the upload cache after sending them.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 01:27:25 AM »
Great, thank you!
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Ethan Welty

• View Profile
    • Ethan Welty Photography
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 09:25:28 PM »
I would very much want to see this solved: having {folder} refer to the source file, and not the temporary location of the copied files being uploaded.

So you are not alone in wanting this!