Author Topic: Non Copy Ingest  (Read 5783 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Non Copy Ingest
« on: June 08, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
I would suggest an option to "non copy" ingest. Meaning the rename and apply ITPC operations could be done on the source files in the source directory itself. It would be most handy when working with a mobile backup device to save your images from the cards. In this case you not necessarily need to copy again and most importantly not allways have the extra space to duplicate all images during the ingest. On some long lasting assignments I often have troubble the last days how to do it.
Of course one can allways rename and apply IPTC in separate rounds instead of ingesting but that would be two extra steps that are combined in ingest, that could do it optionally without a copy
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Re: Non Copy Ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:38:36 PM »
How is what you are suggesting different than opening a contact sheet for the source directory and applying IPTC to the files in it?

Danny

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Non Copy Ingest
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 11:18:12 AM »
Ingest not only applies IPTC and copies the images but renames the images and does some internal changes for example converting read-only bits to tags removing write protection. Of-course the first half can be done in two steps (one renaming, one applying IPTC), but it takes doubble time to set things and doubble time for PM to process all images.

If you use a limited amount of disk space on a laptop or a USB drive you already copied the images and there are coupple thousands of them it would be quite a different not having to wait for PM to rename all images then letting you aply the IPTC but after a busy day of work you can start it in one round not consuming all your disk space with copyint (and not needing an extra step of deleting all if you used ingesting).

I hope this makes my point somewhat clearer...
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com