Author Topic: how to preserve all of my settings from my imac to my ibook G4?  (Read 4007 times)

Offline JS

• View Profile
Hi,

any suggestion for that?I also copied the preferences-folder in my user/library,but it didn't work.
Regards
JS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: how to preserve all of my settings from my imac to my ibook G4?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 02:04:06 PM »
JS,

any suggestion for that?I also copied the preferences-folder in my user/library,but it didn't work.

Copy the "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist" file from your iMac to your iBook.  It is in your Library/Preferences folder within your home folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 01:53:13 PM »
Kirk,

it doesn't work.I already have tried this before.Can it be because my imac is an intelmac and my ibook a G4?

Regards
Johann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 02:46:58 PM »
Johann,

it doesn't work.I already have tried this before.Can it be because my imac is an intelmac and my ibook a G4?

I doubt it.  The preferences file is just an XML file which is cross-platform.

When you say it doesn't work, what exactly do you mean?  If you replace your current com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist file from your /Users/<your user name>/Library/Preferences folder with the file from your other system then *something* has to change.  There is no way for it not to change.

Maybe you're only copying the one from /Library/Preferences/ which contains only your registration information...

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
Kirk,

I did exactly the same.No change.Now I did it all manually.Wasn't too much work either.But I copied the "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic"-folder to the library on my ibook.So I can luckily use my IPTC-snaps.
Regards
Johann

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »
Johann,

I did exactly the same.No change.Now I did it all manually.Wasn't too much work either.But I copied the "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic"-folder to the library on my ibook.So I can luckily use my IPTC-snaps.

It isn't a folder that I am talking about.  It is a file sitting right next to the folder that you're describing, and the filename is "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist"  If you copy that file from one system to another then the large majority of your settings will come over.  The snapshot files are stored in the folder that you copied over.  Just copy over the plist file and you should have the rest of your settings as well.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »
Kirk,

I did exactly copy the "plist" file next to the folder.It didn't work,but the folder worked at least for my IPTC-snaps.And thats most important.

Regards
Johann