Author Topic: How Photo Mechanic displays .NEF images (versus other apps)  (Read 5255 times)

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
An interesting display difference between PM and other viewers...

I have two Nikon raw files. The second began as an identical copy of the first, but different sorts of "edit steps" (in Nikon parlance) have been applied to the two files within Nikon Capture NX.

If I view the two files in the freeware viewer IrfanView, they appear identical. They appear identical if I view them in IDImager, which I'm evaluating. If I view them in Photo Mechanic, however, the differences between the two images -- due to the differing edits in Capture NX -- are slightly apparent in contact-sheet view and very apparent in the preview dialog.

How is Photo Mechanic picking up -- so accurately -- the differences between the two images, whereas other viewers aren't? Surely it isn't reading the "edit steps" inserted into the .NEF files by Capture NX. Or...is it? (Not that I'm complaining. It's extremely useful to be able to see a bit of the differences in the 'contact sheet' view and see them fully within the preview window.)
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How Photo Mechanic displays .NEF images (versus other apps)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 06:50:54 AM »
Mike,

An interesting display difference between PM and other viewers...

I have two Nikon raw files. The second began as an identical copy of the first, but different sorts of "edit steps" (in Nikon parlance) have been applied to the two files within Nikon Capture NX.

If I view the two files in the freeware viewer IrfanView, they appear identical. They appear identical if I view them in IDImager, which I'm evaluating. If I view them in Photo Mechanic, however, the differences between the two images -- due to the differing edits in Capture NX -- are slightly apparent in contact-sheet view and very apparent in the preview dialog.

How is Photo Mechanic picking up -- so accurately -- the differences between the two images, whereas other viewers aren't? Surely it isn't reading the "edit steps" inserted into the .NEF files by Capture NX. Or...is it? (Not that I'm complaining. It's extremely useful to be able to see a bit of the differences in the 'contact sheet' view and see them fully within the preview window.)

We render the embedded JPEG preview from the NEF file.  Since Nikon Capture updates the embedded JPEG preview to match your rendered adjustments, the results also appear in Photo Mechanic.  The other apps you mention must be rendering the RAW data with their own renderer.

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 12:00:29 PM »
We render the embedded JPEG preview from the NEF file.  Since Nikon Capture updates the embedded JPEG preview to match your rendered adjustments, the results also appear in Photo Mechanic.  The other apps you mention must be rendering the RAW data with their own renderer.

Kudos to Photo Mechanic for displaying the images more accurately.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 04:00:48 AM »
Ànd exactly one of the main reasons of using PM!
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl