Author Topic: IPTC Caption field text size when pasting  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
IPTC Caption field text size when pasting
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:06:40 AM »
Hi,

I frequently have to copy/paste a paragraph from my agency's written story into the Caption field of the IPTC window, adding it to a sentence I've already written in the field. The problem (mine, not Photo Mechanic's per se) is that the text gets copied *with* formatting i.e. font size, color, style etc, and the text I'm copying from is quite large and takes up almost all the Caption field box.
If I close the IPTC window and re-open it then all is fine and all the text is the same normal size, but it would be nice to not have to do that.
Would it be possible to have a checkbox option in the preferences along the lines of "when copying text to IPTC window remove all text sizes/styles and paste as plaintext"?

Thanks,

Ben

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: IPTC Caption field text size when pasting
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
This behaviour puzzled me too.  But if I recall correctly from a conversation with Kirk (or Dennis), it was a "feature" of the code library they use (iirc, for Unicode support) and could not be turned off.  I also think this was only a problem under Windows, not Mac (I hope to find this out soon; we just ordered our Mac Pro!).

Cheers.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: IPTC Caption field text size when pasting
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:48 PM »
I also think this was only a problem under Windows, not Mac (I hope to find this out soon; we just ordered our Mac Pro!).

I confirm that. I use Mac for a coupple months now and I never saw this until I gave up Win. Also on Mac you not necessarily have to copy the text you can simply drag it between lines, text boxes, windows or even apps. And still no problem with the formatting brought over or such.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com