Author Topic: Operation complete signal  (Read 7162 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Operation complete signal
« on: June 08, 2008, 04:23:09 PM »
Since using Mac OSX Leopard I observed many applications (muCommander, Transmit, CyberDuck, etc) signaling they finnished some job in a transparent background bubble. I find it a good method of signaling the completition this way since an app with a long taking operation is usually left alone in the background and the operator finds some other task like reading the Camera Bits forums.
,-))

Maybe PM could signal in a similar way it finnished the ingest, FTP upload, renaming, export, convert, save as or the stuff it has done. It would be mostly useful for those operations that lock out the user, disabling to use PM at all.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Operation complete signal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:16:43 PM »
Since using Mac OSX Leopard I observed many applications (muCommander, Transmit, CyberDuck, etc) signaling they finnished some job in a transparent background bubble. I find it a good method of signaling the completition this way since an app with a long taking operation is usually left alone in the background and the operator finds some other task like reading the Camera Bits forums.
,-))

Maybe PM could signal in a similar way it finnished the ingest, FTP upload, renaming, export, convert, save as or the stuff it has done. It would be mostly useful for those operations that lock out the user, disabling to use PM at all.

Bubble?

-Kirk

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 04:17:13 AM »
I could be wrong, but I think szurkebarat may be referring to Growl (or if not, that could be a way to achieve the objective). Growl is a quite nice way of having onscreen transparent alerts in OS X that is supported by a growing number of apps:

http://growl.info/about.php

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 04:21:04 AM by Ben Curtis »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »
I don't really know much about it. It might be attached to Growl maybe.

All I know is more OSX apps have this similar way to get attention to their messages mainly if they work in the backgroudn. Two of them for sure: muCommander, and Transmt I use the most. But Growl update installer gave the message having an update in a similar way.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
I don't really know much about it. It might be attached to Growl maybe.

All I know is more OSX apps have this similar way to get attention to their messages mainly if they work in the backgroudn. Two of them for sure: muCommander, and Transmt I use the most. But Growl update installer gave the message having an update in a similar way.

Do the notifications look similar to the ones in the Screenshots section of the Growl website (URL noted in an earlier posting on this thread)?

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
On my system they appear as on these images:

Allways shooting RAW.