Author Topic: new to photo mechanic, how do i print contact sheet?  (Read 5122 times)

Offline fcast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
new to photo mechanic, how do i print contact sheet?
« on: June 10, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
I am not too sure how I go about printing a contact sheet instead of individual pictures. Any help will be great appreciated.

fcast

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: new to photo mechanic, how do i print contact sheet?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 10:41:35 AM »
I am not too sure how I go about printing a contact sheet instead of individual pictures. Any help will be great appreciated.

Select the photos you want to print onto a contact sheet.  Choose the Print command from the File menu.  Click on the 'Contact Sheet' tab at the top of the Print dialog.  Choose the number of rows and columns and the text you wish to print under each thumbnail.  Photo Mechanic's {variables} like {filename} are useful for the text.

Click on the Print button.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline fcast

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »
Kirk, thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate your help.   ;D

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:10:06 AM »
Select the photos you want to print onto a contact sheet.  Choose the Print command from the File menu.  Click on the 'Contact Sheet' tab at the top of the Print dialog.  Choose the number of rows and columns and the text you wish to print under each thumbnail.  Photo Mechanic's {variables} like {filename} are useful for the text.

Minor documentation issue: I find that the first time in a session with the program that I click the Print button or select File>Print, the first dialog to appear is Page Setup. Once that is taken care of, clicking OK in that dialog brings up the Print Settings dialog with the option for printing contact sheets or proofs. Might be worth a brief mention in the documentation...
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 07:01:28 AM »

Minor documentation issue: I find that the first time in a session with the program that I click the Print button or select File>Print, the first dialog to appear is Page Setup. Once that is taken care of, clicking OK in that dialog brings up the Print Settings dialog with the option for printing contact sheets or proofs. Might be worth a brief mention in the documentation...

That's true, but I figured that since it is a standard dialog that everyone has seen numerous times in other applications that its function is obvious and its appearance is expected.

Do you really think it deserves mention?

-Kirk

Offline MikeA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:40 PM »
I figured that since it is a standard dialog that everyone has seen numerous times in other applications that its function is obvious and its appearance is expected.
Do you really think it deserves mention?

Yes -- a brief mention of what happens when File>Print is selected the first time in a session with the program would be useful for completeness' sake.

I'm more accustomed to seeing not a Page Setup dialog, but rather a Print dialog containing a Page Setup button, appear when File>Print is selected. (Of course it only takes one or two uses of PM's Print command in the File menu to become accustomed to PM's own sequence of events in this case.)

It would be useful, come to think of it, to have a "Page Setup..." button within the Print dialog. That way, if Page Setup had been used once already and therefore selecting Print opens the Print dialog -- but if the user needs to change page-setup options -- it could be done from the Print dialog alone.
“The wonderful thing about standards is that you can invent as many of ’em as you want.”
– Anonymous cynic