Author Topic: find and delete or exchange a character with variables  (Read 5817 times)

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
find and delete or exchange a character with variables
« on: December 06, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
I am using variables to put a foldername in an IPTC field. The folder name has an underline character in it. I am doing this with hundreds of images at once out of different folders with the underline character in different places depending on the folder name. Is it possible to get rid of that underline character (or any specific character)  or exchange the character with another one? Thanks ralf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: find and delete or exchange a character with variables
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »
Ralf,

I am using variables to put a foldername in an IPTC field. The folder name has an underline character in it. I am doing this with hundreds of images at once out of different folders with the underline character in different places depending on the folder name. Is it possible to get rid of that underline character (or any specific character)  or exchange the character with another one? Thanks ralf

I moved your posting to General Discussion since you're asking a question instead of requesting a feature.

You can use the Find and Replace panel to find underscores in specific fields and replace them with a character of your choice.

-Kirk

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »
Thanks!
So I have to do it in 2 steps: 1. import with the variables {folder} and 2. replace the character with "Find and Replace". Thats why I put it in the new feature discussion, because it would be great to have it in one step with a special function to the variables, like the Variable Substring Extraction.
Anyway it´s great to get such fast respond to my questions and I always recommend PM to my collegs.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 10:24:54 AM »
Thanks!
So I have to do it in 2 steps: 1. import with the variables {folder} and 2. replace the character with "Find and Replace". Thats why I put it in the new feature discussion, because it would be great to have it in one step with a special function to the variables, like the Variable Substring Extraction.

I see.  I misunderstood you.  I thought that you didn't know how to perform the task at all.

You're looking for more of a generic capability for variables.

-Kirk

Offline ralf

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 10:47:11 AM »
I am sorry, my english isn´t very good javascript:void(0);

Any chance to change that in the near future?

Many thanks!
Ralf

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 10:59:30 AM »
Ralf,

Any chance to change that in the near future?

Not in any 4.6.x version.  Something like that would have to be done in a newer version like 4.7.

-Kirk