Author Topic: search by color-label or rating...  (Read 6744 times)

Offline zballz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
search by color-label or rating...
« on: June 10, 2008, 11:09:56 AM »
(I know this has been discussed before, but here goes)

Say I want to pull up ALL my 5-star photos. Is there really no way to "search" these, and create a new contact sheet with all of my 5-star photos? I mean, I can use the search-field and type in any keyword i've used, and it will automatically bring up all photos that has that specific keyword. And as far as I know, Ratings and Color-labels are stored within the IPTC the same way as keywords.

the only way to do this now, is to make a contact sheet of ALL MY PHOTOS (10.000 = wait a couple of minutes) and then un-tag the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4-star (leaving only the 5-star tagged), wait another couple of minutes. Seems a bit to complicated.

Doesnt spotlight "spot" the star-rating somehow, and makes it possible to make a "star-related"-search??

(and same question for colorlabel...)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: search by color-label or rating...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 11:13:24 AM »
(I know this has been discussed before, but here goes)

Say I want to pull up ALL my 5-star photos. Is there really no way to "search" these, and create a new contact sheet with all of my 5-star photos? I mean, I can use the search-field and type in any keyword i've used, and it will automatically bring up all photos that has that specific keyword. And as far as I know, Ratings and Color-labels are stored within the IPTC the same way as keywords.

the only way to do this now, is to make a contact sheet of ALL MY PHOTOS (10.000 = wait a couple of minutes) and then un-tag the 0, 1, 2, 3, 4-star (leaving only the 5-star tagged), wait another couple of minutes. Seems a bit to complicated.

Doesnt spotlight "spot" the star-rating somehow, and makes it possible to make a "star-related"-search??

(and same question for colorlabel...)

Spotlight has no support for searching based on 5-star ratings or color labels.  Spotlight pretty much ignores XMP data altogether.

Once Photo Mechanic has cataloging features you would be able to do what you're asking to be able to do.

The only current way to do what you're asking would be to open up the parent folder of all of your images recursively and then use the filter widgets at the bottom right corner of the window to hide/show the ratings and color classes that you're looking for.

-Kirk

Offline gianca49

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • fotoswiss.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 02:41:49 AM »
hi kirk
any news on this topic ?

I also would like to filter by rating my images on a harddisk or various harddisks.
I tried the search command ut I cannot enter the word "rating" and then > 4 star

thanks for reply
best regards
giancarlo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »
Giancarlo,

any news on this topic ?

I also would like to filter by rating my images on a harddisk or various harddisks.
I tried the search command ut I cannot enter the word "rating" and then > 4 star

Nothing has changed in Spotlight that I know of.  Apple hasn't made any appreciable changes to Spotlight in years.

-Kirk

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 04:10:57 AM »
Giancarlo,

I have a post earlier on how I solved this for myself - I don't have time to find it now. But when apply IPtC data I use the colorclass variable and the Supp Cat 3 Field ( which I don't use otherwise) - I put "CC{colorclassval} SR{rate:0,1}" in that field - For a red image with 2 stars I get CC3 SR2. I then can use either LR or Picasa or both to search for either result or the whole string. A Winner with 5 stars would be CC1 SR5.
Works GREAT.

Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com