Author Topic: More Problems with Color Class and Tags  (Read 7228 times)

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
More Problems with Color Class and Tags
« on: June 10, 2008, 01:08:46 PM »
Hate to pile on here since Kirk just fixed similar issues regarding Star Ratings but there are still some inconsistencies with keyboard application of Color Class and Tags at least using Win XP Pro SP2.  Would be really helpful to have PM use the same keyboard shortcuts from the main keyboard and the number pad.

Color Class Issues:

If the Single Click Preference is set to Star Rating, the number pad cannot be used to enter color class on a single image or a multiple image selection.  The 0-8 keys on the main keyboard work properly.

If the Single Click Preference is set to Color Class, the number pad works properly on single images but not multiple image selections.  The main keyboard keys work fine.

Tag issues:

In the contact sheet the T key works as a toggle on single images but not multiple image selections.  The Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- keys do work on multiple image selections but this is confusing and it only works from the main keyboard, not the number pad.  The T key should work on single and multiple images and, in my opinion, the +- keys should be used for something else.

Since I (and probably others) hate using the numbers on the main keyboard, it would really help to have the number pad work the same way.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: More Problems with Color Class and Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:02 PM »
Hello Bill,

Hate to pile on here since Kirk just fixed similar issues regarding Star Ratings but there are still some inconsistencies with keyboard application of Color Class and Tags at least using Win XP Pro SP2.  Would be really helpful to have PM use the same keyboard shortcuts from the main keyboard and the number pad.

Color Class Issues:

If the Single Click Preference is set to Star Rating, the number pad cannot be used to enter color class on a single image or a multiple image selection.  The 0-8 keys on the main keyboard work properly.

If the Single Click Preference is set to Color Class, the number pad works properly on single images but not multiple image selections.  The main keyboard keys work fine.

Tag issues:

In the contact sheet the T key works as a toggle on single images but not multiple image selections.  The Ctrl++ and Ctrl+- keys do work on multiple image selections but this is confusing and it only works from the main keyboard, not the number pad.  The T key should work on single and multiple images and, in my opinion, the +- keys should be used for something else.

Since I (and probably others) hate using the numbers on the main keyboard, it would really help to have the number pad work the same way.

Are you using the latest 4.5.3.2 beta?  I don't know if it addresses all of your concerns.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 07:03:01 PM »
Hello Bill,

Are you using the latest 4.5.3.2 beta?  I don't know if it addresses all of your concerns.

-Kirk

Yes, I am using 4.5.3.2 beta.  The beta did fix the similar issues with Star Ratings but Color Class and Tags are still a problem.

Regards

Bill Wood

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:32:46 PM »
Bill,

Color Class Issues:

Are we talking about the Contact Sheet keyboard commands here?  Or is this in the Preview window?

Quote from: William R Wood
Tag issues:

Is this also the Contact Sheet we're talking about here?  Or is this the Preview window?

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 07:25:43 AM »
Bill,

Color Class Issues:

Are we talking about the Contact Sheet keyboard commands here?  Or is this in the Preview window?

Tag issues:

Is this also the Contact Sheet we're talking about here?  Or is this the Preview window?

-Kirk

Kirk,

Yes, the problems are all in the Contact Sheet, Previews work fine.

Thanks,

Bill Wood

PS:  As to Previews - I still have a pending feature request :) - Put the Star Ratings and Color Class in a much larger SINGLE bar centered under the image just like the thumbs in the Contact Skeet and put the TAG marker right next to the bar and make it a lot bigger.  The current separated star rating and color class bars are too small and too far apart, especially on the new big wide screen monitors and we have to keep shifting our eyes back and forth to see them.  And the TAG marker is also too small and hard to see.  Color Class, Star Rating and Tags should be very prominent and easy to see.  Thanks for considering.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
Bill,

Color Class Issues:

BTW, these are not 'Single Click Preferences' but are 'Single Key Preferences' and only apply to when a single item is selected.  That said, I did find that the menu 'mnemonic' shortcuts would not respond to the numeric keyboard keys being pressed along with the Ctrl key or Alt key.  I have fixed this.  But I was not able to address those shortcuts that also required holding down the shift key since the numeric keypad keys act very different when the Shift key is held down.  They instead send cursor key values.  I know of no workaround.

Now that I have made the changes, having the single key preference set to Color Class, typing a Ctrl-NK0 through NK8 sets the color class on the selected items whether it be one item or many items.  Likewise if the single key preference set to Star ratings allows Alt-NK0 through NK5 to set the star rating on the selected items, whether it be one item or many items.

This addresses most of your concerns and are all that I can do given the limitation of Shift and numeric keypad keys becoming cursor keys.

Tag issues:

That is because the T key is unadorned by a Ctrl key.  It operates on a single item like the number keys set the color class or rating.  Ctrl-T will operate on several items or one item.  The T key will not be changed to work on multiple images.  It doesn't work that way in the Preview window and making it operate on multiple images would be inconsistent with how it works in the Preview window.

I have made changes to allow the Ctrl-NK+ and Ctrl-NK- to set or clear the selected photos tag state.  We will not be assigning them to something else.

I know that some of this seems odd, like why do some keys operate only on a single item?  This is because of requests by some pros who like to operate Photo Mechanic with one hand while they drive their car from one assignment to another under tight deadlines!

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 01:14:06 PM »
Kirk,

Hate to belabor this but I am still confused and since I use PM mainly to rate and tag images, this issue is pretty important. 

Bill,

Color Class Issues:

BTW, these are not 'Single Click Preferences' but are 'Single Key Preferences' and only apply to when a single item is selected.  That said, I did find that the menu 'mnemonic' shortcuts would not respond to the numeric keyboard keys being pressed along with the Ctrl key or Alt key.  I have fixed this.  But I was not able to address those shortcuts that also required holding down the shift key since the numeric keypad keys act very different when the Shift key is held down.  They instead send cursor key values.  I know of no workaround.

Now that I have made the changes, having the single key preference set to Color Class, typing a Ctrl-NK0 through NK8 sets the color class on the selected items whether it be one item or many items.  Likewise if the single key preference set to Star ratings allows Alt-NK0 through NK5 to set the star rating on the selected items, whether it be one item or many items.

Here is where I am confused.

In 4.5.3.2 beta if I set the single key preference to Star Rating: NK0-5 sets star rating on single images and Alt+NK0-5 sets star rating on multiple images.  This is fine.  But I cannot also enter Color Class with the NK.  Ctrl+NK0-NK8 do not work on single or multiple images.  So I am forced to use the mouse or change the Single Key Preference to Color Class which is a massive pain.  :)

But above you said, "Likewise if the single key preference set to Star ratings allows Alt-NK0 through NK5 to set the star rating on the selected items, whether it be one item or many items."  Unless that statement is a typo it means an unwelcome change to current behavior.  Right now single key preference means that NK0-5 sets star ratings on single selected images which is great, no modifier key is necessary.  But your change says that Alt+NK0-5 sets star ratings on single selections and multiple selections.  Thus the single key option is gone?

In 4.5.3.2 beta if I set the single key preference to Color Class the behavior becomes inconsistent:  NK0-8 sets color class on single selected images but Ctrl+NK0-8 does not work on multiple selected images.  However, star ratings do work properly using the NK.

Referring to your above statement: "Now that I have made the changes, having the single key preference set to Color Class, typing a Ctrl-NK0 through NK8 sets the color class on the selected items whether it be one item or many items."  Does this mean that the single key option is gone for color class as well?

This stuff is difficult to explain.  Don't know how you programmers stay sane trying to keep all these variables straight in your head!  :)

Tag issues:

That is because the T key is unadorned by a Ctrl key.  It operates on a single item like the number keys set the color class or rating.  Ctrl-T will operate on several items or one item.  The T key will not be changed to work on multiple images.  It doesn't work that way in the Preview window and making it operate on multiple images would be inconsistent with how it works in the Preview window.

I have made changes to allow the Ctrl-NK+ and Ctrl-NK- to set or clear the selected photos tag state.  We will not be assigning them to something else.

I know that some of this seems odd, like why do some keys operate only on a single item?  This is because of requests by some pros who like to operate Photo Mechanic with one hand while they drive their car from one assignment to another under tight deadlines!

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 02:02:14 PM »
Bill,

Hate to belabor this but I am still confused and since I use PM mainly to rate and tag images, this issue is pretty important. 

Color Class Issues:

Here is where I am confused.

In 4.5.3.2 beta if I set the single key preference to Star Rating: NK0-5 sets star rating on single images and Alt+NK0-5 sets star rating on multiple images.  This is fine.  But I cannot also enter Color Class with the NK.  Ctrl+NK0-NK8 do not work on single or multiple images.  So I am forced to use the mouse or change the Single Key Preference to Color Class which is a massive pain.  :)

That is true.  You don't have the fixes that I made just a few hours ago to address your concerns.

But above you said, "Likewise if the single key preference set to Star ratings allows Alt-NK0 through NK5 to set the star rating on the selected items, whether it be one item or many items."  Unless that statement is a typo it means an unwelcome change to current behavior.  Right now single key preference means that NK0-5 sets star ratings on single selected images which is great, no modifier key is necessary.  But your change says that Alt+NK0-5 sets star ratings on single selections and multiple selections.  Thus the single key option is gone?

I did not say that the single key shortcut was gone.  It is still there.

In 4.5.3.2 beta if I set the single key preference to Color Class the behavior becomes inconsistent:  NK0-8 sets color class on single selected images but Ctrl+NK0-8 does not work on multiple selected images.  However, star ratings do work properly using the NK.

This is also because you don't have a build of 4.5.3.2 with the latest improvements yet.

Referring to your above statement: "Now that I have made the changes, having the single key preference set to Color Class, typing a Ctrl-NK0 through NK8 sets the color class on the selected items whether it be one item or many items."  Does this mean that the single key option is gone for color class as well?

No.  It is still there too.

-Kirk

Offline William R Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 04:20:30 PM »
Kirk,

Great, sounds like all is well.  :)  I will wait for your next update.

Regards

Bill Wood