Author Topic: search function snapshot  (Read 4511 times)

Offline bazography

• View Profile
search function snapshot
« on: February 13, 2009, 11:49:45 AM »
Just trying out 4.6 and really like some of the new features, including the ability to search specific folders. With this new-found ability though, it just screams for the much-loved Snapshot feature to be added to the search window. (I know... you give us something cool and we just want more!)

For example, 98% of the time I will be searching the same 4 folders using the same criteria (keywords). It would be a real time-saver to just hit the Snapshot button and bring up my preset search criteria with my 4 folders already selected. Then it's ready for me to just add the keyword and hit search.

An alternative (or even better, an addition to the Snapshot ability) would be the ability to set a default, so that the search dialog retains my settings and is ready to go every time I open it.

This differs greatly from the ability to save the search as a favourite, which also a great feature, but has a much different purpose. With a saved search the search term must be predetermined, whereas I want to save everything BUT the search term.

Thanks, great program!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: search function snapshot
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »
Just trying out 4.6 and really like some of the new features, including the ability to search specific folders. With this new-found ability though, it just screams for the much-loved Snapshot feature to be added to the search window. (I know... you give us something cool and we just want more!)

For example, 98% of the time I will be searching the same 4 folders using the same criteria (keywords). It would be a real time-saver to just hit the Snapshot button and bring up my preset search criteria with my 4 folders already selected. Then it's ready for me to just add the keyword and hit search.

An alternative (or even better, an addition to the Snapshot ability) would be the ability to set a default, so that the search dialog retains my settings and is ready to go every time I open it.

This differs greatly from the ability to save the search as a favourite, which also a great feature, but has a much different purpose. With a saved search the search term must be predetermined, whereas I want to save everything BUT the search term.

All you need to do is right-click on your Saved search and choose Edit Search from the contextual menu.  There you can change just the terms.

-Kirk

Offline bazography

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:37:59 PM »
Well, that's quicker than entering it from scratch for sure, but is there no way to at least implement a "Save as Default" for the search window so it opens to the same settings every time?
Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »
Well, that's quicker than entering it from scratch for sure, but is there no way to at least implement a "Save as Default" for the search window so it opens to the same settings every time?

Possibly but not likely for version 4.6.0.

-Kirk