Author Topic: Preview window, F shortcut  (Read 12865 times)

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
Preview window, F shortcut
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:43:54 AM »
Hi Kirk, the F shortcut doesn't work as it perhaps should. When I first open preview, it does nothing. I have to either do the R restore of infopanel/thumbstrip (which shows both - normally I have the thumbstrip hidden) or doubleclick the small line on right. After that, it works normally.

I don't know if that's a feature or bug, but please could you look into it?

I think it should work all the time, with F restoring/hiding only the panel I have last shown (ie only the infotext).
Mac, latest beta (but this really is from 4.5 all the way).

Frantisek

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: Preview window, F shortcut
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 06:04:51 AM »
I reported it earlyer F and R work seemingly inconsistent. Kirk told to check its function wheter being intentional.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 08:33:11 AM »
Frantisek,

Hi Kirk, the F shortcut doesn't work as it perhaps should. When I first open preview, it does nothing. I have to either do the R restore of infopanel/thumbstrip (which shows both - normally I have the thumbstrip hidden) or doubleclick the small line on right. After that, it works normally.

I don't know if that's a feature or bug, but please could you look into it?

I think it should work all the time, with F restoring/hiding only the panel I have last shown (ie only the infotext).
Mac, latest beta (but this really is from 4.5 all the way).

What are the initial conditions that I need to have in order to reproduce the problem?  Not full screen, but have the thumbnail gallery completely collapsed?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »
What are the initial conditions that I need to have in order to reproduce the problem?  Not full screen, but have the thumbnail gallery completely collapsed?

On start of PM, I do preview with full-screen view (both panels collapsed). Then the F key doesn't work at first. When I restore the panels or drag either of them back into view, then for the rest of the PM session the F key works as it should (toggles between fullscreen and my previous mode)

When I restart PM with preview with one panel showing, the F key works well (toggles).

Both panels I hid at first by doubleclicking the divider.

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 09:24:50 AM »
There have been two threads about this - it is apparently a feature not a bug, although it is a bit inconvenient.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=1924.msg8826
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=2660.msg12005

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »
Frantisek,

On start of PM, I do preview with full-screen view (both panels collapsed). Then the F key doesn't work at first. When I restore the panels or drag either of them back into view, then for the rest of the PM session the F key works as it should (toggles between fullscreen and my previous mode)

When I restart PM with preview with one panel showing, the F key works well (toggles).

Both panels I hid at first by doubleclicking the divider.

Try using the R key to restore both panes out.  That key should always perform in that manner.

I'll need more explicit instructions from you.  Start with the Preview window opening up with all panes visible.  Tell me exactly what to do from there.  Leave no steps out.

-Kirk

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 10:31:11 AM »
Try using the R key to restore both panes out.  That key should always perform in that manner.

I'll need more explicit instructions from you.  Start with the Preview window opening up with all panes visible.  Tell me exactly what to do from there.  Leave no steps out.

-Kirk

Hi Kirk, I have two separate issues, Win and Mac. Both still apply to latest beta 3.

1) Mac version:

I start PM, open Preview on some photos. From my previous session, it correctly remembers that I have opted for viewing the photos fullscreen. In previous session, I always have the Thumbstrip on bottom collapsed (doubleclicking on its border), with Infotest panel open. Then I used F shortcut to view them fullscreen. Toggling with F works correctly, that is it toggles between Fullscreen and Infopanel visible (it still correctly remembers that I have the thumbstrip collapsed in non-fullscreen mode). So far good. But when I quit PM, with last remembered Preview state in Fullscreen mode (gotten there by the F key), and start it later again, it displays fullscreen at first, but the F key doesn't work to get me back to the remembered state, in fact, F key does nothing at all. I have to use R key to Restore both Infopanel and Thumbstrip and collapse the thumbstrip manually. Afterwards, the F key works as intended (that it, it toggles between fullscreen and remembered state - that is e.g. only the infopanel open but thumbs hidden).

In my opinion, it should always remember the last state, be it fullscreen or not, and if not fullscreen, it should remember which panels I have open and which I have hidden previously. IF I want to show both of them, I use the R restore key. Plain for me :) Currently, the F key toggle doesn't work at first until I do a Restore with R.

2) Windows version.

First, PM does NOT remember the state of preview window in my last session. When opened first time, it always starts with both infopanels open, even if I opted for Fullscreen in my previous session. During the session, it remembers the state but only PARTIALLY. That is, the F key toggles ALWAYS between Fullscreen and Both panels open, even if I collapsed one of them during the same session. So on Windows, there is no way to toggle between Fullscreen and Infotext panel showing with the F key, the F key always Restores both panels no matter what I did previously. What's worse, it does NOT remember the state (fullscreen/nonfullscreen preview) between sessions, that is, if I restart PM, it always starts with both panels showing and I have to hide one of them or both manually.

Therefore, the behaviour between Mac nad Win versions is inconsistent.

3) What I think would be the sensible behaviour:

R key always restores the default view, ie both panels showing,bottom and right. For these users who forgot that they have hidden one of the panels or perhaps hid it by mistake. R key simply restores them. Even the icon is plain in that.

F key always toggles between full fullscreen (no panels showing) and last remembered non-fullscreen mode (one of the three possible - showing either both panels/only thumbstrip/only infopanel, depending on what I have manually collapsed when last in the non-fullscreen mode).

Last, the Preview window should remember, between PM sessions (writing it to prefs file), the state the preview window was during the last session. And it should show the same state when opening PM again and Previewing photos. Be it fullscreen, both panels or only one of them.

It might not seem as such a big issue, but first, it makes it incosistent for us using both Mac and Win versions, and second, it is really annoying when I preview photos on my small subnotebook's 8.9" screen and the first thing I have to do is hit F key to get rid of the panels because otherwise the photo shown is really small on the small screen.

Please, consider this. Or at least please fix the strange Mac behaviour (F key not working for the first time, this is driving me crazy) and the Win incosistency with Mac.

Thanks a lot, and again thanks for the superb support.

I hope my long explanation is clear enough :)

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:05 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Loving the PM 4.6.  Lots of great improvements.  But this F key toggle in Preview mode thing is driving me nuts.  It still doesn't seem to work properly.  This has been an issue since 4.5.x

I'm using OS X. 

Issue Workflow:
- Start PM.  (Previous time PM was used Preview mode was "Full view (F)")
- Enter preview mode (by double clicking on one of the photos)
- "F" Key does not toggle between R and F modes.
- Can go to R mode by pressing "R" and from now on "F" toggles back and forth.

This seems like a bug because it works properly after first switching to R mode.

Can this be changed in the next round? 

Thanks!!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 08:00:26 AM »
But this F key toggle in Preview mode thing is driving me nuts.  It still doesn't seem to work properly.  This has been an issue since 4.5.x

I'm using OS X. 

Issue Workflow:
- Start PM.  (Previous time PM was used Preview mode was "Full view (F)")
- Enter preview mode (by double clicking on one of the photos)
- "F" Key does not toggle between R and F modes.
- Can go to R mode by pressing "R" and from now on "F" toggles back and forth.

This seems like a bug because it works properly after first switching to R mode.

Can this be changed in the next round?

I just fixed this for Mac OS X, and I'll start on the fixes for the Windows version that Frantisek noted earlier.

-Kirk

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 08:19:23 AM »
Sweet!  That was fast.

Thanks!!!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:33:27 PM »
Frantisek,

2) Windows version.

First, PM does NOT remember the state of preview window in my last session. When opened first time, it always starts with both infopanels open, even if I opted for Fullscreen in my previous session. During the session, it remembers the state but only PARTIALLY. That is, the F key toggles ALWAYS between Fullscreen and Both panels open, even if I collapsed one of them during the same session. So on Windows, there is no way to toggle between Fullscreen and Infotext panel showing with the F key, the F key always Restores both panels no matter what I did previously. What's worse, it does NOT remember the state (fullscreen/nonfullscreen preview) between sessions, that is, if I restart PM, it always starts with both panels showing and I have to hide one of them or both manually.

Therefore, the behaviour between Mac nad Win versions is inconsistent.

3) What I think would be the sensible behaviour:

R key always restores the default view, ie both panels showing,bottom and right. For these users who forgot that they have hidden one of the panels or perhaps hid it by mistake. R key simply restores them. Even the icon is plain in that.

F key always toggles between full fullscreen (no panels showing) and last remembered non-fullscreen mode (one of the three possible - showing either both panels/only thumbstrip/only infopanel, depending on what I have manually collapsed when last in the non-fullscreen mode).

Last, the Preview window should remember, between PM sessions (writing it to prefs file), the state the preview window was during the last session. And it should show the same state when opening PM again and Previewing photos. Be it fullscreen, both panels or only one of them.

It might not seem as such a big issue, but first, it makes it incosistent for us using both Mac and Win versions, and second, it is really annoying when I preview photos on my small subnotebook's 8.9" screen and the first thing I have to do is hit F key to get rid of the panels because otherwise the photo shown is really small on the small screen.

Please, consider this. Or at least please fix the strange Mac behaviour (F key not working for the first time, this is driving me crazy) and the Win incosistency with Mac.

The Mac OS X version has been fixed, and now the Windows version works just like the Mac OS X version.  Or at least it does in my testing.  Please try it on both platforms when the next beta is released.

-Kirk

Offline jrubio2

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2009, 05:53:32 AM »
Thanks Kirk, the new beta from a few days ago works as expected.  Excellent.

Offline FVlcek

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 06:51:09 AM »
Great. Can confirm that it works perfectly on OS X. Windows will have to wait till I get to work... Thanks!