Author Topic: Fuji S5 RAW support?  (Read 3189 times)

Offline denyerec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Fuji S5 RAW support?
« on: June 13, 2008, 04:51:40 PM »
Hi there,

Just trialling the photomechanic software and I seem to have run into some issues with my Fuji S2 and S5 RAW files. Photomechanic seems to refuse point-blank to store IPTC information back into my RAW files. I've confirmed that it's behaving itself by storing data back into JPG's but with my RAWs.... no go. I verified this by applying some IPTC information, then deleting the auto-generated XMP files. The JPEGs when views in photoshop/bridge/fastone all displayed the IPTC information as entered, but the RAWs were untouched.

Am I doing something wrong, or does Photomechanic not support fuji cameras? PM is by far the best in class I have used to date, so I'm going to be incredbly upset if I can't use it with my cameras' output.

Given that I don't want 50,000 XMP files flying around the house cluttering things up and inevitably getting lost, have I got any options?

Yours,
Denyerec the Frustrated

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Fuji S5 RAW support?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:08 PM »
Denyerec,

Just trialling the photomechanic software and I seem to have run into some issues with my Fuji S2 and S5 RAW files. Photomechanic seems to refuse point-blank to store IPTC information back into my RAW files. I've confirmed that it's behaving itself by storing data back into JPG's but with my RAWs.... no go. I verified this by applying some IPTC information, then deleting the auto-generated XMP files. The JPEGs when views in photoshop/bridge/fastone all displayed the IPTC information as entered, but the RAWs were untouched.

Am I doing something wrong, or does Photomechanic not support fuji cameras? PM is by far the best in class I have used to date, so I'm going to be incredbly upset if I can't use it with my cameras' output.

Given that I don't want 50,000 XMP files flying around the house cluttering things up and inevitably getting lost, have I got any options?

Fuji RAF files cannot have IPTC or XMP data embedded in them by Photo Mechanic.  They are not a TIFF-based RAW format like most other cameras.

You could always convert them to DNG, and then PM will be able to put IPTC and XMP into them.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline denyerec

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 01:46:34 AM »
Thanks for the swift response, even though that sucks an ungodly amount.

Is it a question of PM not supporting the write mechanism for the Fuji files, or is it a case of Fuji files being completely unable to support embedded metadata?

If it is the former, are there any plans to extend support for the FujiS5 format? Without it I can't really deploy PhotoMechanic and I'm sure there's legions of Fuji users out there who are in the same boat. :(

Converting to DNG is sadly not an option as DNG doesn't, to my knowledge, support the SR pixel data stored by the S5. Nor is there a DNG converter on the market able to rival the output quality of Fuji RawEX. Poor old Fuji's beautiful SuperCCD really is the ugly stepchild of the DSLR world... *sniff*
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 01:48:15 AM by denyerec »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:15:18 AM »
Thanks for the swift response, even though that sucks an ungodly amount.

Is it a question of PM not supporting the write mechanism for the Fuji files, or is it a case of Fuji files being completely unable to support embedded metadata?

If it is the former, are there any plans to extend support for the FujiS5 format? Without it I can't really deploy PhotoMechanic and I'm sure there's legions of Fuji users out there who are in the same boat. :(

Converting to DNG is sadly not an option as DNG doesn't, to my knowledge, support the SR pixel data stored by the S5. Nor is there a DNG converter on the market able to rival the output quality of Fuji RawEX. Poor old Fuji's beautiful SuperCCD really is the ugly stepchild of the DSLR world... *sniff*

If Fuji would document their RAW file format then it would likely be possible to embed metadata into their files.  But as far as I know, there is no documentation of the Fuji RAW file formats.  So until we have that documentation, XMP sidecar files are the only way possible at this time.

-Kirk