Author Topic: Rotating Pictures & opening them in Photoshop  (Read 2860 times)

Offline jlandaula

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Rotating Pictures & opening them in Photoshop
« on: June 13, 2008, 11:17:34 PM »
I am working on a Mac OS X 4.11.  Something has change, where as in the past I was able to rotate pictures in Photo Mechanic and then load them in Photoshop and they would open with the corrected rotation.  This no longer happens.  Is there a setting that got change?  Or is there a way to do this?  I even tried copying the files to another location but the same thing happens.

Thanx,

Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Rotating Pictures & opening them in Photoshop
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 08:13:02 AM »
Jon,

I am working on a Mac OS X 4.11.  Something has change, where as in the past I was able to rotate pictures in Photo Mechanic and then load them in Photoshop and they would open with the corrected rotation.  This no longer happens.  Is there a setting that got change?  Or is there a way to do this?  I even tried copying the files to another location but the same thing happens.

Did you ever view the images in Photoshop before you soft-rotated them in Photo Mechanic?  If so, you've run into a long-standing issue where Photoshop caches information about images that it has previously viewed, including rotation information.  Photo Mechanic has correctly updated the EXIF orientation tag, but Photoshop is ignoring it.

-Kirk

Offline jlandaula

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 09:24:18 AM »
The images had never been opened in Photoshop.  They are scanned images that I have cropped in Photo Mechanic.  It used to work... for some reason it now does not.  Is there a preference file that I should tr to recreate or something?

Thanx again,

Jon

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 10:38:55 AM »
Jon,

The images had never been opened in Photoshop.  They are scanned images that I have cropped in Photo Mechanic.  It used to work... for some reason it now does not.  Is there a preference file that I should tr to recreate or something?

If the scanned image does not have the necessary EXIF tag, then PM cannot update the tag because it doesn't exist.  It sounds like the scanner software you used didn't include any EXIF data (or at least not enough EXIF data.)  Maybe there are some settings in the scanner software that can be adjusted.

-Kirk