Author Topic: PM Slow to Rename Files by Capture Time...  (Read 3886 times)

Offline Straus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM Slow to Rename Files by Capture Time...
« on: June 18, 2008, 08:40:20 AM »
I have been using PM to do edits and rename files. I started to do a huge 7000 file batch renaming from the Capture Time sort order. So everything was put into the correct time order but the renaming was ungodly slow. I got 33% through in 90 minutes... It would rename some files faster than others but it was between one per second or longer. What could be the issue?

I did some searches for slow renaming but came up empty...

MacBook Pro C2duo 2.16 - 3GB Ram - PM latest...

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM Slow to Rename Files by Capture Time...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 10:50:45 AM »
I have been using PM to do edits and rename files. I started to do a huge 7000 file batch renaming from the Capture Time sort order. So everything was put into the correct time order but the renaming was ungodly slow. I got 33% through in 90 minutes... It would rename some files faster than others but it was between one per second or longer. What could be the issue?

I did some searches for slow renaming but came up empty...

MacBook Pro C2duo 2.16 - 3GB Ram - PM latest...

Had the thumbnails for the 7000 files loaded yet?  If not, then the metadata for the images was being scanned during the rename.

-Kirk

Offline Straus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 11:22:18 AM »
How would I tell? There was no indication that PM was doing anything on the lower left corner of the window. I am trying it again since I have more time to wait. It's been 2h 40min and I'm 60% through the renaming portion. It's moving at about a 2 file per second rate.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 11:42:34 AM »
How would I tell? There was no indication that PM was doing anything on the lower left corner of the window. I am trying it again since I have more time to wait. It's been 2h 40min and I'm 60% through the renaming portion. It's moving at about a 2 file per second rate.

You could scroll through the photos and see if any of them still have 'red' filename titles on their thumbnails.  Seeing as how it is taking about 1/2 second per file, this would indicate that the images have not had their metadata read yet.

Are the photos stored locally on your hard drive?

-Kirk

Offline Straus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
Would it make any difference in the long run if the photos loaded before the remnaming starts? Like is it better to have PM complete one whole process before it starts the rename?

The files are on an external 5400rpm drive connected firewire 400 or 800...

Thanks

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 12:09:57 PM »
Would it make any difference in the long run if the photos loaded before the remnaming starts? Like is it better to have PM complete one whole process before it starts the rename?

The files are on an external 5400rpm drive connected firewire 400 or 800...

If you're renaming with variables that use EXIF metadata and that data hasn't been loaded yet (usually it would get loaded fairly quickly, even for 7000 files) then the renaming process needs to load that metadata during the rename.

You wouldn't happen to be running Mac OS X 10.5.3 would you?  If so, please try the Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 beta.  It should load the metadata much faster.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Straus

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 12:22:01 PM »
I would be happening to be running 10.5.3... One day I will learn to wait a year before jumping on a new OS that screws up my works (in multiple programs!) I will try the beta!!

Also it's odd that some files seem to move faster in the rename process than others... Different camera bodies... Started at 10:40am, 2:20 now and 2000 files to go...