Author Topic: Cataloging  (Read 6813 times)

Offline Alejadnro J Garza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Cataloging
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:47:43 PM »
I have been testing PM for a couple of days, and will buy a license this week. I have enjoyed using PM, however, I will be one more of those users that miss a cataloging functionality.

I have read that this functionality is being considered by your developers, and understand that you can not disclose at this time the timing nore the scope of what you will be delivering. The functionalities that I really would like to have are the following:

• Be able to define a catalog or album from photos in different folders

• Capability to automatically update albums or catalogs that are defined based on Keywors (and other parameters)
  • Capability to do searchs across a directory of folders

How much of the above will be included in a future version??

Alejandro Garza
Monterrey, Mexico
Nikon D700, PM, Capture NX2, IDImager PS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Cataloging
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 04:05:42 PM »
Alejandro,

I have been testing PM for a couple of days, and will buy a license this week. I have enjoyed using PM, however, I will be one more of those users that miss a cataloging functionality.

I have read that this functionality is being considered by your developers, and understand that you can not disclose at this time the timing nore the scope of what you will be delivering. The functionalities that I really would like to have are the following:

• Be able to define a catalog or album from photos in different folders
  • Capability to automatically update albums or catalogs that are defined based on Keywors (and other parameters)
  • Capability to do searchs across a directory of folders

How much of the above will be included in a future version??

I'm not sure I understand your second request but the other two will definitely be there.

-Kirk

Offline Alejadnro J Garza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 05:28:38 PM »
Thanks for your response.

What I mean in the second item is that if a catalog can be defined based on keywords then everytime I assign the keyword to a photo, the photo will be registerd in the catalog.

For example, I could have a catalog of "birds", and I also the keyword bird.  When I get a new picture and if I define the keyword bird, I would like to have  that picture in the catalog automaticaly.

Make sense??

Any way, with the two items that will be included I will have all the functionalities that I need now. 

Thanks again

Alejandro Garza
Monterrey, Mexico
Nikon D700, PM, Capture NX2, IDImager PS

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 07:23:25 AM »
The same thing as Apples "smart" albums.  Nice feature that is hard to live without once you get used to it.

jose

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 01:49:16 PM »

Certainly the Photo Mechanic users we will have very different needs at the time of cataloguing, but in case it serves the data to Kirk, at the moment I have 130,000 images and every year 20,000 are added.

I anxiously wait for the arrival of the new "catalogator", although in alpha version . Portfolio has problems in some fields with the UTF in Spanish, Manager Expression 2 in Europe is only available as test version… everything is misfortunes… and in Mac other programs like Idimager and Imatch do not abound, only for Windows…

Thanks andgood job!
Jose.