Author Topic: How do I? tasks  (Read 2905 times)

Offline froggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
How do I? tasks
« on: June 19, 2008, 09:03:55 AM »
Hi,

I am trying out the demo, looks like a great product but my main problem is the documentation: I downloaded the manual, but can't find documentation by task.

For example:

* I have moved [no copied] photo from 1 folder to another, I still get the moved images in the contact sheet. How do I refresh the contact sheets for that folder to remove the photos from the contact sheets for that folder?
* How to insert the the copyright symbol? I am currently cut & paste from another application.

Is there a PDF that is document by task/workflow? or do I need slug it out and spend hours in the forums?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: How do I? tasks
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 10:12:17 AM »
I am trying out the demo, looks like a great product but my main problem is the documentation: I downloaded the manual, but can't find documentation by task.

For example:

* I have moved [no copied] photo from 1 folder to another, I still get the moved images in the contact sheet. How do I refresh the contact sheets for that folder to remove the photos from the contact sheets for that folder?

Are you certain you moved the files from within Photo Mechanic instead of copying them?  They should disappear from the source folder automatically.  No refresh should be necessary.

Quote from: froggy
* How to insert the the copyright symbol? I am currently cut & paste from another application.

It depends on which platform you're running on.  On the Mac you press Option-G to produce the copyright symbol in Photo Mechanic, just like you would in any Mac OS X application.  On Windows you hold down the Alt key and type 0169 to produce the copyright symbol in Photo Mechanic, just like you would in any Windows application.

Quote from: froggy
Is there a PDF that is document by task/workflow? or do I need slug it out and spend hours in the forums?

Did you download the full 4.5.3 manual or are you referring to the Quick Start Guide?
I don't think you'll have to spend hours in the forums.  Just ask the questions you want answered.  I don't think it will take that long, but after the fact you can tell me if it did.  ;)

-Kirk

Offline froggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 12:24:41 PM »
Did you download the full 4.5.3 manual or are you referring to the Quick Start Guide?

I didn't know there was a quick start guide. Link please? I looked and only saw the full manual, but as an older guy, according to my wife, I can't see, especially if it is in the fridge...

I don't think you'll have to spend hours in the forums.  Just ask the questions you want answered.  I don't think it will take that long, but after the fact you can tell me if it did.  ;)

Thank you

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 12:35:23 PM »

I didn't know there was a quick start guide. Link please? I looked and only saw the full manual, but as an older guy, according to my wife, I can't see, especially if it is in the fridge...

The Quick Start Guide is fairly incomplete for your described needs.

The full manual is available here:

http://camerabits.fileburst.com/Photo_Mechanic_4.5.3_Manual.pdf

It sounds like you already have that one.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »

For example:

Are you certain you moved the files from within Photo Mechanic instead of copying them?  They should disappear from the source folder automatically.  No refresh should be necessary.

If you opened more than one folder into the same contact shett and you move between them then the content of the contact sheet won't be affected since you stil have the images in places displayed in the contact sheet.
Also if you moved away only one of the RAW or JPG pairs of a RAW+JPG view then you still have the other in the view so nothing changes in your contact sheet (except RAW or JPG dissapearing from the filename of those files but it can be easily overlooked if you aren't prepared to look for it.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com