Author Topic: Find in sub-directories  (Read 3291 times)

Offline froggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Find in sub-directories
« on: June 19, 2008, 06:11:58 PM »
Hi,

I am trying to search/find photos according to the IPTC caption. But I want to do for a whole directory tree.

My structure is:
Photos/
Photos/Washington
Photos/Washington/Seattle
I have dozenS of these directories [close to a hundred now]. Edit | Find seems to do only the current directory. Do I need to search every directory, one at a time?

I use Windows with 4.5.3.1

Thanks

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
Re: Find in sub-directories
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:36:58 PM »
Try installing Picasa2 (from Google - Free). It will search your drive(s) (or only what you tell it to) for image files - you can then search any text in the images in fractions of a second. I use it to search 200,000 images and find it amazing.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »
I am trying to search/find photos according to the IPTC caption. But I want to do for a whole directory tree.

My structure is:
Photos/
Photos/Washington
Photos/Washington/Seattle
I have dozenS of these directories [close to a hundred now]. Edit | Find seems to do only the current directory. Do I need to search every directory, one at a time?

I use Windows with 4.5.3.1

If you right-click on the Photos folder and choose one of the "Open folder and subfolders" options, you can search through all of the photos in that part of your directory tree.

-Kirk

Offline froggy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
If you right-click on the Photos folder and choose one of the "Open folder and subfolders" options, you can search through all of the photos in that part of your directory tree.

1. Thank you: exactly what I was looking for.
2. Dos this means that after each import, I should redo it? or will a just rescan would work?
3. This is the perfect type of question that should go into either a FAQ or a workflow documentation ;)

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:59:21 PM »

2. Dos this means that after each import, I should redo it? or will a just rescan would work?

If new folders were added to the directory tree, then a rescan will not find them.  You would have to close that contact sheet tab and reopen it.

-Kirk