Poll

Help me speed up PM on Macbook pro

?
0 (0%)
?
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Very slow to open contact sheets.  (Read 4416 times)

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Very slow to open contact sheets.
« on: June 23, 2008, 08:33:33 AM »
Hello Kirk

This is my first post, I've been using PM on Windows for a couple of years and found it virtualy faultless. Last week i moved my entire workflow to Mac, the speed of rendering thumbnails has taken a massive hit.
Big folders with 1200 cr2's virtualy freezes the system forcing me to restart, I have diabled the HQ thumbnails and set the default sort to 'file name' this helps a little. Even with this setup it will take over 10min to render the standard thumbnails. PM use to fly one a 3 year old Pentium 4 without hyper threading, this is a major head ache, making PM almost unuseable, if i preview an image it will undo the rendering of thumbnails. Copying brings up the same issue. The folders in qustion are on a 7200 rpm USB HD, same story with the internal HD. Very depressing with loads of big weddings in the next months!

Macbook pro
Dual 2.2
4mb ram

PM 4.5.3.1

Thanks

Graham Morgan
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:00:22 AM by Graham Morgan »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Very slow to open contact sheets.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57:20 AM »
Graham,

This is my first post, I've been using PM on Windows for a couple of years and found it virtualy faultless. Last week i moved my entire workflow to Mac, the speed of rendering thumbnails has taken a massive hit.
Big folders with 1200 cr2's virtualy freezes the system forcing me to restart, I have diabled the HQ thumbnails and set the default sort to 'file name' this helps a little. Even with this setup it will take over 10min to render the standard thumbnails. PM use to fly one a 3 year old Pentium 4 without hyper threading, this is a major head ache, making PM almost unuseable, if i preview an image it will undo the rendering of thumbnails. Copying brings up the same issue. The folders in qustion are on a 7200 rpm USB HD, same story with the internal HD. Very depressing with loads of big weddings in the next months!

Macbook pro
Dual 2.2
4mb ram

PM 4.5.3.1

Thank you for posting your system configuration and the version of Photo Mechanic you're running.  The problem you are experiencing is solved by the Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 beta which you can read more about in the Announcement section of the forums.  Please download and try the 4.5.3.2 beta as soon as you can.  It should solve your problems.

Also, it sounds like your Photo Mechanic Memory Cache may be too small.  Once you have 4.5.3.2, please open up the Preferences dialog, click on the Caching tab, and then change the Memory Cache to: 512

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:31:34 AM »
Hi Kirk

Thanks for the prompt reply, I will do this and get back to you with the result.

Cheers

Graham Morgan

Offline Graham Morgan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:58:07 AM »
Graham,

Macbook pro
Dual 2.2
4mb ram

PM 4.5.3.1

Thank you for posting your system configuration and the version of Photo Mechanic you're running.  The problem you are experiencing is solved by the Photo Mechanic 4.5.3.2 beta which you can read more about in the Announcement section of the forums.  Please download and try the 4.5.3.2 beta as soon as you can.  It should solve your problems.

Also, it sounds like your Photo Mechanic Memory Cache may be too small.  Once you have 4.5.3.2, please open up the Preferences dialog, click on the Caching tab, and then change the Memory Cache to: 512

HTH,

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I downloaded 4.5.3.4 beta, the result; speed of the Cheetah!

Looking good

Graham Morgan