Author Topic: PM and Nikon Capture NX2  (Read 10469 times)

Offline tomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Nikon Capture NX2
« on: June 27, 2008, 01:49:15 PM »
The ability to add keywords and star ratings and color codes in NX2 is great. But how do I make use of them? Like many, I have my files organized in a directory structure. The details of how I organize files is not important. The important thing for me is to be able find images in any subdirectory that conform to a search criteria. To put it more succinctly, I might want to search for:
... all NEF files with a star rating of 4 or more
... all files with the keywords "tree, fall, river"
... all files with a a combination of the above

Are Capture NX2 keywords & star ratings supported by PM?  In other words, will PM place keyword in a NEF that is compatible with NX2, and can PM search for images based on keywords that entered in either NX2 or PM?

I am on a PC running Windows XP. I understand there is a facility on a Mac to do keyword searches but none exists on a PC. So perhaps the 'search' feature is not part of PM and I need a true image management program to do the searches.

Thanks,
tomas
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 02:07:48 PM by tomas »

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: PM and Nikon Capture NX2
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 03:02:45 PM »
The ability to add keywords and star ratings and color codes in NX2 is great. But how do I make use of them? Like many, I have my files organized in a directory structure. The details of how I organize files is not important. The important thing for me is to be able find images in any subdirectory that conform to a search criteria. To put it more succinctly, I might want to search for:
... all NEF files with a star rating of 4 or more
... all files with the keywords "tree, fall, river"
... all files with a a combination of the above

Are Capture NX2 keywords & star ratings supported by PM?  In other words, will PM place keyword in a NEF that is compatible with NX2, and can PM search for images based on keywords that entered in either NX2 or PM?
Tomas, yes PM and NX understand each other pretty well!

I am on a PC running Windows XP. I understand there is a facility on a Mac to do keyword searches but none exists on a PC. So perhaps the 'search' feature is not part of PM and I need a true image management program to do the searches.
PM does have a (rudimentary) search capability.  For what I do now, I find this enough.  Camerabits is however planning on adding full database support in an upcoming version.  This would allow for much more complex searches.

Hope this helps.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline tomas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 06:43:00 PM »
It does help. Thanks!  Will look again when the new version is out.

Offline sakaasa

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 04:40:10 AM »
I am not much of a forum reader, so I didn't see your post until I had already posted in Support. You might want to read my post there since I am also using PM, CNX2 and Windows XP:

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=3172.0

HTH
Sharon

Offline Alejadnro J Garza

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
There is a problem between NX2 and PM. Star rating and color coding are not being comunicated correctly.  This has been discussed a lot in the Nikkonians site.

Today all searches in PM are limited to a single folder (or single contact sheet).

There is a discussion on the new features forum "Cataloguing";  I understand this feature will be included in a new version, the problem is that there is no official date for this.

Alejandro Garza
Monterrey, Mexico
Nikon D700, PM, Capture NX2, IDImager PS

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 06:12:46 PM »
There is a problem between NX2 and PM. Star rating and color coding are not being comunicated correctly.  This has been discussed a lot in the Nikkonians site.

I suggest you try the PM 4.5.3.2 beta and enable the new "Synchronize Color Class with IPTC/XMP Urgency" feature on the General tab of the Preferences dialog.  Also, be sure to check out the new built-in help for information on how to setup the IPTC/XMP tab to be most compatible with Capture NX2.

There is still one issue that is a bug in Capture NX2 where it doesn't write out the correct Label name when saving a NEF file.  It always appears to work fine if you only "Apply" the label changes.

You can get the latest beta from the Announcements section of the forums.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:06 AM »
Today all searches in PM are limited to a single folder (or single contact sheet).

In case a reader is unaware, a contact sheet may included several folders and/or subfolders.

Deven