Author Topic: Use of PM with DxO  (Read 3064 times)

Offline rcohn

• View Profile
Use of PM with DxO
« on: July 03, 2008, 01:17:03 PM »
This was asked a while ago, but I'm expanding on the question. I plan to continue using PM for ingest and to apply preliminary IPTC info and ratings (processing first seems like a stupid suggestion on DxO's part), but I don't want to do it in a way that will affect DxO's ability to read the metadata for it's image processing. I'd appreciate any info from those who are familiar with DxO.

I know it's best to use sidecar files for the Raws, and I think I have PM set to record to sidecar files (more on this below). I'm not sure if adding ITCP info, keywords, or ratings (stars or colors) is recorded directly in the Raw file and, if yes, whether this affects DxO in any way. Does anyone know what, if anything, can be safely added to the original Raw file by PM?

I have to admit that I find the descriptions in PM's IPTC/XMP Preference panel confusing. None of the choices clearly says it will create sidecar files or if it will embed or not embed data in the Raw. I have my IPTC/XMP Preferences set according the the recommendations on Controlled Vocabulary http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/help/cvkc-photomechanic.html. I think these settings prevent changing the Raw and allow for storage in a sidecar file, but maybe someone could check and confirm or deny this.

Any info, suggestions, or experiences using PM and DxO together will be appreciated.

Ric Cohn

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Use of PM with DxO
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 01:56:16 PM »
I have to admit that I find the descriptions in PM's IPTC/XMP Preference panel confusing. None of the choices clearly says it will create sidecar files or if it will embed or not embed data in the Raw.

Hmm.  Well the various checkboxes in the Writing section have the word 'embed' in them when they refer to embedding IPTC or IPTC4XMP data into TIFF-based RAW files.  The popup menu below those checkboxes let you know what is going to happen in regards to XMP sidecar files.

I don't think the IPTC/XMP preferences are particularly unclear, but I do think they can be a bit overwhelming.  Unfortunately since so many applications do their own thing in regards to IPTC or XMP with RAW files, we had to have a lot of control on how PM will handle metadata in order to keep PM capable of working with a variety of other applications.

-Kirk