Author Topic: IPTC Encoding: Mac Romania  (Read 5206 times)

Offline devenh

• View Profile
IPTC Encoding: Mac Romania
« on: July 06, 2008, 02:42:58 PM »
Just curious, is Mac Romania the standard encoding for western languages?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Encoding: Mac Romania
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:08:35 PM »
Deven,

Just curious, is Mac Romania the standard encoding for western languages?

I don't think it is.

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:32:07 PM »
Mac Romania is what all my nef files are encoded with.  Checked nef files from several cameras, many which PM has never touched.  Also checked files right on the CF card.

Using 4.5.3.1 Windows.

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:21:52 PM »
Deven,

Mac Romania is what all my nef files are encoded with.  Checked nef files from several cameras, many which PM has never touched.  Also checked files right on the CF card.

The popup menu in the IPTC Info dialog does not indicate what character set the file is encoded in.  IPTC does not define that in any reasonable way other than UTF-8 or not UTF-8.  The encoding popup menu in the IPTC Info dialog indicates what encoding the text will be saved in.  The character set that is used when reading the file is controlled in the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.

Most of your files (certainly the ones straight off the camera) are likely just plain 7-bit ASCII unless they have accented characters.  Otherwise the most common encoding is ISO-8859-1.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline devenh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 06:28:50 AM »
Kirk,

I checked the default encoding on my laptop and it was Mac Roman (not Mac Romania).  I don't remember ever changing the encoding on either machine.  In the IPTC/XMP preferences dialog box, pressing Restore Defaults does not change the encoding.

There is no ASCII or ISO-8859-1 option in my Default IPTC Encoding combo box.  Which encoding should I use for western European languages that included accented characters?

Deven

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 07:44:25 AM »
Deven,

I checked the default encoding on my laptop and it was Mac Roman (not Mac Romania).  I don't remember ever changing the encoding on either machine.  In the IPTC/XMP preferences dialog box, pressing Restore Defaults does not change the encoding.

There is no ASCII or ISO-8859-1 option in my Default IPTC Encoding combo box.  Which encoding should I use for western European languages that included accented characters?

Mac Roman has always been the default in Photo Mechanic and includes most Western European accented characters.  There is no standard encoding that I can suggest because there is no standard encoding in IPTC.  7-bit ASCII is the standard.  Any accented characters in IPTC that are not UTF-8 encoded are outside of the specification for IPTC.

XMP does not have any issues in this regard since it is UTF-8 encoded.

-Kirk