Author Topic: False warning  (Read 3327 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
False warning
« on: July 06, 2008, 07:03:17 PM »
My disk space is low on my system drive so I ingest to a USB drive instead. However PM keeps showing a false warning that says disk space on the USB drive is not enough to complete the ingest. The amount of space available is true for the system drive not the USB drive I intend to use but the mounted drive path it shows is the destination of the ingest not the system drive.

I think PM either shouldn't warn me in this case since I have enough free space on the destination drive or it should tell me that I don't have space enough on the System drive but not this confused mix of the two true to neither.

Any way how many free space does PM need on the system drive for its safe functionality?

I use Mac OSX 10.5.2 and the latest PM beta out. 4.5.3.2 expiring 7/15/208.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: False warning
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
I just discovered PM might not be (or maybe not the only) cause of the problem witht he ingest.

In the Volumes folder I just found a folder named exactly as the USB drive is labeled (drive) so it mounted as drive1 so PM ingested into the Volumes/drive on the System drive instead of the USB drive. This way the warning may be correct, showing valid information I just didn't expect this situation.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 04:43:44 AM »
I just discovered PM might not be (or maybe not the only) cause of the problem witht he ingest.

In the Volumes folder I just found a folder named exactly as the USB drive is labeled (drive) so it mounted as drive1 so PM ingested into the Volumes/drive on the System drive instead of the USB drive. This way the warning may be correct, showing valid information I just didn't expect this situation.

/Volumes/'drive name' is just the 'mount point' for all volumes.  This is completely normal.  I'll look into what could cause the warning you're getting.  Off hand I would say that if you're doing an incremental Ingest, PM does the size calculations for the warning based on all files in the volume being copied, and not on the fact that many of the files (if already ingested earlier) may not be copied.  This may be the source of the false warning.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »

/Volumes/'drive name' is just the 'mount point' for all volumes.  This is completely normal.  I'll look into what could cause the warning you're getting.  Off hand I would say that if you're doing an incremental Ingest, PM does the size calculations for the warning based on all files in the volume being copied, and not on the fact that many of the files (if already ingested earlier) may not be copied.  This may be the source of the false warning.

-Kirk

Probably the drive unmounted but one of the programs saved to the same path it used to have the mounted USB storage, this way creating the folder in Volumes named after the drive name. This may be why after remounting the drive it appeared numbered as "drive1". It seems PM was not to blame for miscalculation.
Allways shooting RAW.