Author Topic: iPhone App  (Read 7376 times)

Offline smorgan42

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
iPhone App
« on: March 06, 2008, 09:01:04 PM »
Please, oh pretty please, tell me you are looking at the new iPhone SDK.

Here is how I see it working:

iPhone gets connected to my camera via usb. iPhone version of PM has either drop box support or can view a thumbnail sheet from the disk. From there I can view and tag images, add caption info and ftp to a server via wifi or a future 3G cell connection.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: iPhone App
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 04:23:06 AM »
Please, oh pretty please, tell me you are looking at the new iPhone SDK.

Here is how I see it working:

iPhone gets connected to my camera via usb. iPhone version of PM has either drop box support or can view a thumbnail sheet from the disk. From there I can view and tag images, add caption info and ftp to a server via wifi or a future 3G cell connection.

Is this connection possible? Does iPhone have USB host functionality? If yes, than even a card reader could be connected, but as far as I know i doubt it...
;-((

...but I too would like the idea of having a PM compatible solution to iPhone and possibly other hendhealds. But if this draws developers away from the computer version....I would prefer skipping the idea...
;-))
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline twalker

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 07:06:40 PM »
I like the idea of a iphone app. If you could just ingest your photos from your card, throw the basic info in with them and keep shooting while your card is downloading. Then after the game or what ever, plug your phone in to the computer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »
I like the idea of a iphone app. If you could just ingest your photos from your card, throw the basic info in with them and keep shooting while your card is downloading. Then after the game or what ever, plug your phone in to the computer.

The largest iPhone is still only 8GB.  And not all of that 8GB is available to the file system...

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2008, 06:01:36 AM »
Well not everyone shoots more gigs on every assignment. I actually do but not everyone. For newspaper stuff it is rare and could be useful. I usually bring my extracted JPGs with me for sorting, tagging, keywrding, showing them. For this an iPhone app could be great to do the work on the go....if a handy interface is doable.

And who knows about some time giving iPhone the power of a USB host for connecting USB drives, like card readers. Most Some PDAs are capable to do this and iPhone is better than a PDA heading the way PDAs are. If iPhone will get there I surely will buy one....not until then. So you have some time for the development Kirk...
,-)))
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 08:15:04 PM »
Well I had a chance to use an iPhone for a longer time and discovered few things in regard. First of all I would like to use PM or a similar app with it since it is a great tool for viewing photos (maybe better for that than being used as a phone). And it really misses a good image viewer since its built in one is way to basic for my taste. No options to search, to sort or to filter. These options from PM would be really great to have in a pocket.

I cannot really imagine how editing, IPTC-ing or anything other than just viewing could be done on iPhone. It lacks the keyboard which (together with the many shortcuts) make PM that fast and effective. The keyboard it has I find hard to use for longer time, and the device also lacks text copy+paste functions as well as file management the traditional way. It can only handle images synchronized from iTunes (that uses iPhoto or Aperture libraries), and as most important in a PM context the iPhone lacks any direct connection possibilites to images taken. You need a computer to put images onto it.

So I think iPhone is not the perfect device for using it for work (image editing, selecting, sending), more like a fancy gadget you can play with and it may be used to show your last shootings, portfolio, etc. On this end a somewhat simplified and view only oriented - just show images and allow for search and filter the way PM does - app would be nice (I would greet one such for desktop to acompany PM as well).

However a PDA app could be useful for field photogs to quickly select caption and send, maybe keyword, color code on the go.
Allways shooting RAW.