Author Topic: Pre-sales questions  (Read 5837 times)

Offline jsperl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Pre-sales questions
« on: July 11, 2008, 01:07:41 PM »
RE: Demo ver. 4.5.3.1

1.  Is there (or are there plans for) a way for the embed ICC profile tool to work with tiffs as well as jpegs?  Breeze Browser (which I have) already does this for jpegs only, but I really need a tool for batch embedding profiles into tiffs.

2. Is there really no way to filter the contact sheet from displaying non-graphic files, such as the xmp sidecars?  I find this hard to believe in a modern graphics app.  Not necessarily a deal-breaker...more of an annoyance...I only want to view graphic files.

3.  The demo constantly freezes when switching from another app back to PM.  Sometimes it's 5-7 seconds, sometimes longer than 20 seconds.  Is this normal?

4.  Sometimes a random group of thumbs will blink continuously on the contact sheet.  Known issue?

My system:

Intel q6600
8 GB RAM
Win XP PRO 64-bit

That's about it for now...thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Pre-sales questions
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »

1.  Is there (or are there plans for) a way for the embed ICC profile tool to work with tiffs as well as jpegs?  Breeze Browser (which I have) already does this for jpegs only, but I really need a tool for batch embedding profiles into tiffs.

There is currently no way to do that.

Quote from: jsperl
2. Is there really no way to filter the contact sheet from displaying non-graphic files, such as the xmp sidecars?  I find this hard to believe in a modern graphics app.  Not necessarily a deal-breaker...more of an annoyance...I only want to view graphic files.

Sure there is.  You can turn off viewing of unknown files as proxies from the View menu.  You can make your choice more permanent in the Preferences dialog under the Contact Sheet tab.

3.  The demo constantly freezes when switching from another app back to PM.  Sometimes it's 5-7 seconds, sometimes longer than 20 seconds.  Is this normal?

Are you browsing on a server volume?

4.  Sometimes a random group of thumbs will blink continuously on the contact sheet.  Known issue?

I have never heard of that issue before.  What kind of files are they?

-Kirk

Offline jsperl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:23 PM »
Thanks for the quick response!  See comments below...

Just to clarify: Do you mean that it's generally not possible, or only that PM can't do it currently?

Quote from: Kirk Baker

Sure there is.  You can turn off viewing of unknown files as proxies from the View menu.  You can make your choice more permanent in the Preferences dialog under the Contact Sheet tab.

Thanks...don't know how I missed this in the view menu! ::)  However, there is nothing about this in Preferences that I can find, and certainly not on the contact sheet tab.

Yes...that seems to be what makes the difference. Am using a gigabit network.  Not a problem when browsing local files.  Is this just the way it is, or is there a fix?  None of my other apps (Breeze, Lightroom, etc.)  display this behavior.

Tiffs.

[/quote]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:29:01 PM »

Just to clarify: Do you mean that it's generally not possible, or only that PM can't do it currently?

PM cannot do it currently.  It is in the realm of possibility to be done to TIFFs, but is isn't nearly as straightforward as it is on JPEGs.

Thanks...don't know how I missed this in the view menu! ::)  However, there is nothing about this in Preferences that I can find, and certainly not on the contact sheet tab.

You're correct.  My mistake.  The setting on the View menu is application-wide and is already persistent.

Yes...that seems to be what makes the difference. Am using a gigabit network.  Not a problem when browsing local files.  Is this just the way it is, or is there a fix?  None of my other apps (Breeze, Lightroom, etc.)  display this behavior.

It sounds like it is taking a long time to scan the folder that you're browsing.  I don't know why it should take so long.

Tiffs.

What kind of TIFFs?  RGB?  CMYK?  Greyscale?  8-bit?  16-bit?

Do the same set of files have issues if you quit PM and reopen it?

-Kirk

Offline jsperl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
Yes, the blinking issue recurs after quiting and re-launching.  Like a christmas tree.  Pretty much the same files are all (randomly, it seems) prone to this as far as I can tell.  RGB 8-bit.   If you'd like I can send a video to your phone, or email you a file if your prefer.

Regarding network speed...does PM rescan every time you switch back to its window even after the thumbs have already been generated once?  I thought the cache would take care of that.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 08:25:13 PM »
Yes, the blinking issue recurs after quiting and re-launching.  Like a christmas tree.  Pretty much the same files are all (randomly, it seems) prone to this as far as I can tell.  RGB 8-bit.   If you'd like I can send a video to your phone, or email you a file if your prefer.

Regarding network speed...does PM rescan every time you switch back to its window even after the thumbs have already been generated once?  I thought the cache would take care of that.

It does indeed rescan, but if the images have not changed, they are not reloaded.

Sample images would be nice to have so that I can try to reproduce the problem locally.  Contact me privately by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  Then click on the 'personal message' link.

Thanks,

-Kirk