Author Topic: Configuring "Edit photo with..."  (Read 2502 times)

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Configuring "Edit photo with..."
« on: July 13, 2008, 05:56:02 PM »
PM is my primary file browser.  I usually want to open my .nef files with NX2, but quite frequently, I want to do something else.  I would like to be able to configure the "Edit photo with..." menu so that it shows a list of applications that I can configure per file type.  I'm not sure how I did it, but this menu currently shows Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS3.  I would also like to add Capture NX (the previous version) and Photomatix and in the future, possibly others.  I tried playing with "Assign Specific Application to File Type" and I could successfully add Photomatix to the list, but it had the unfortunate side effect of making it the default for the "Edit" menu too.

Is there currently a way to add an arbitrary number of programs to the "Edit photo with..." menu?  If so, the User's Guide isn't clear how to do it.  If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Configuring "Edit photo with..."
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 06:40:57 PM »
Danny,

PM is my primary file browser.  I usually want to open my .nef files with NX2, but quite frequently, I want to do something else.  I would like to be able to configure the "Edit photo with..." menu so that it shows a list of applications that I can configure per file type.  I'm not sure how I did it, but this menu currently shows Capture NX2 and Photoshop CS3.  I would also like to add Capture NX (the previous version) and Photomatix and in the future, possibly others.  I tried playing with "Assign Specific Application to File Type" and I could successfully add Photomatix to the list, but it had the unfortunate side effect of making it the default for the "Edit" menu too.

Is there currently a way to add an arbitrary number of programs to the "Edit photo with..." menu?  If so, the User's Guide isn't clear how to do it.  If not, I'd like to request that as a new feature.

At the bottom of the list in the specific file type dialog, is a set of Custom editors.  Add your additional editors there and they will be available from the contextual menus in the Contact Sheet and Preview window.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline TiggerGTO

• View Profile
Re: Configuring "Edit photo with..."
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
I never thought to scroll all the way to the end.  Thanks for pointing this out.