Author Topic: PM and Mac Mail on Leopard  (Read 5399 times)

Offline toksuede

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM and Mac Mail on Leopard
« on: July 15, 2008, 01:30:50 AM »
Someone probably will be able to help me, so please help me....

The situation is as follows:

I recently took the plunge and went Leopard.  Everything was fine until I wanted to email multiple photos using PM.
After selecting 2 or more photos, I use the PM function to create an email with the selected images.
The beachball spins and spins until Mail is unresponsive (force quit) and PM gives me a "There is a problem with your Apple Script on your Mail app" and closes shop.

I tried deleting the plist from the previous PM as well as upgrading the PM to the latest version, but to no avail.

I'm now cleaning my inbox and hoping that will solve the problem.

Can someone help me?

Ryu

Offline toksuede

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM and Mac Mail on Leopard
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 01:35:15 AM »
By the way, it works fine if I am emailing a singular photo....

Offline nmf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 03:28:40 AM »
I found a similar problem after updating to 10.5.3, not only with Photomechanic but also with some scripts I had written designed for a similar purpose.

Jerry has told me the problem lies in how Mail is affected by the latest updates (btw 10.5.4 doesn't rectify the problem) but that the issue is partly addressed in the next update of Photomechanic.

Hopefully Kirk or somebody will come back with more info as and when they have it but hope the above will help in  the meantime.

Offline toksuede

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 05:16:23 AM »
I'm running the latest OS X 10.4 and the latest PM (waiting for the email from Camera Bits to buy it).

It's really an annoying problem and not having to be able to do this is affecting my work.

Would really love to get this sorted.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 07:14:05 AM »
I'm running the latest OS X 10.4 and the latest PM (waiting for the email from Camera Bits to buy it).

It's really an annoying problem and not having to be able to do this is affecting my work.

Would really love to get this sorted.

The beta of 4.5.3.2 addresses this problem.  You can get the beta in the Announcements section of the forums.  The beta that is currently there expires today, so hold off for a bit while we get the next one ready.

I had to add a workaround for the problems in Apple's Mail.app to keep it from hanging while talking to it via AppleScript.

Mac OS X 10.5 so far has had more problems for working photographers than any other Mac OS X revision in history.

-Kirk

Offline toksuede

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 11:31:22 PM »
Thank you for the update.  I shall wait patiently for the update and meanwhile go on and buy the PM outright.
This is how much confidence I have for you guys. :)
Please keep up the excellent job.

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
    • Morten Vassing│Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 12:42:03 AM »
Kirk,

I am on Mac OS X 10.5.4 and the new beta 6 of PM 4.5.3.2 still crashes Mail.app when attempting to email 22 Nikon D3 RAWs as JPEGs Large (see attachment below)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:34:09 AM »
Fellow CB Forum Member Søren Steffen suggested that I shorten the Subject field and re-try which I did. No crash and all files sent safely... I have not yet heard from the receiver if all is well in that end as well. But the character length of the Subject field seems to be the culprit....
Morten Vassing│Photojournalist - COPENHAGEN│Denmark - Nikon D3│MacBook Pro │ Mac OS X (10.8)│PM5

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 06:47:21 AM »
Morten,

Fellow CB Forum Member Søren Steffen suggested that I shorten the Subject field and re-try which I did. No crash and all files sent safely... I have not yet heard from the receiver if all is well in that end as well. But the character length of the Subject field seems to be the culprit....

Good to know.  We'll try testing with larger Subject fields and see if there is another workaround I can add.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 02:31:05 PM »

Morten,

I was unable to recreate this issue using the settings in your attachment. I even set PM to not review the email before sending and this worked just fine as long as I had created a separate email for each photo.

The only way that I was able to get Mac Mail to stop responding, is to attach more than one file to an email without reviewing the message before sending.

I will spend more time on recreating this problem later this afternoon.

Regards,
Jerry
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 12:46:43 PM by Jerry Hebert »

Offline vassing

• Newcomer
  • Photojournalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »
Jerry,

The issue first arose when I shot the car back in the middle of June with whatever PM beta was out then and I guess Mac OS X has had a minor upgrade since then. The bottom line is that the pictures never went through to the client. It crashed Mail.app numerous times when I tried and re-tried. First with all files, then with just six at a time and finally I gave up and sent the client the pictures for proofing by way of my PhotoShelter account without a hitch.

However, I have sent the Error Report that was generated by Mac OS X every time Mail.app crashed back in June and the other day with beta 6. If you need me to recreate the crash setting and report back to you and report the crash error log directly to you, please let me know how to proceed.

Best regards,

Morten

Offline Jerry H

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2008, 12:47:51 PM »
Hi Morten,

The workaround that we added into 4.5.3.2 beta 6 should have fixed the crash for you, because you had PM set to review the email(s) before sending. I tried to recreate the problem using the exact settings that you show in the attachment, but it worked fine for me. If you're reviewing the email before it sends, then the beta 6 build should be working for you as well.

We submitted a bug report with Apple and provided them with an AppleScript that causes Mail to crash on OS 10.5.3 and 10.5.4. Hopefully, this problem with sending multiple attachments will be resolved shortly.

Regards,
Jerry