Author Topic: "Save Photos as" and "Send Photos via Email" without compression?  (Read 16691 times)

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
I just wonder is there a way to save and email photos via PM without applying a compression? So to say to switch off the quality slider.
Basically in this case I just want to use PM as a browser and send/save photos as they are (completely untouched by PM) and keep their original size. Because the compression of PM gives me greater values/sizes than required.

Thanks,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: "Save Photos as" and "Send Photos via Email" without compression?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »
HM,

I just wonder is there a way to save and email photos via PM without applying a compression? So to say to switch off the quality slider.
Basically in this case I just want to use PM as a browser and send/save photos as they are (completely untouched by PM) and keep their original size. Because the compression of PM gives me greater values/sizes than required.

If you set the Image settings to Full size (don't resize dimensions) and set the JPEG Quality slider fully to the right, uncheck all of the image processing checkboxes (sharpen, watermark, crop, sRGB conversion) and the original image is a JPEG already then the original file will be sent as is.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 10:04:34 AM »
HM,

If you set the Image settings to Full size (don't resize dimensions) and set the JPEG Quality slider fully to the right, uncheck all of the image processing checkboxes (sharpen, watermark, crop, sRGB conversion) and the original image is a JPEG already then the original file will be sent as is.

HTH,

-Kirk

Kirk,
Thanks for your quick reply.
Well, that is not what I'm experiencing here. I have 1.25MB photo to send via email and if I follow these settings you suggested I get a 2 MB file.
What now?

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:56 AM »
HM,

Thanks for your quick reply.
Well, that is not what I'm experiencing here. I have 1.25MB photo to send via email and if I follow these settings you suggested I get a 2 MB file.
What now?

What application (and where in it) is telling you that the file is 2MB?

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:43:43 PM »
HM,

-Kirk

Kirk,

with "Save Photo as" the slider told me 1.95 MB and the saved photo's size resulted in 2052K shown in PM and 2 MB in the Finder. In a second try I checked the "sharpen" checkbox and the slider stayed at 1.95MB while the resulting file had 2424K.

With "Send Photos via email" the slider said 1.95 MB, Mail said 1.6 MB (for the full email) and detached photo showed 1228K which is the same size as the original one.
So the latter is working as you described, but the slider gave a different value.

My need is that I sometimes have to send via email or ftp files at a certain file size because of locally limited bandwidth and time then is important to get the shots out. So I need to be sure that the desired file size is actually there. My workaround was to batch resize and use PM for viewing, selecting and sending. But here I got those different file sizes. In fact I rather would love to use only PM because of its speed advantage.
So what I am looking for is something to control the file size, so I can set a value like 800K limit, choose photo dimension, choose sharpen, keep EXIF/IPTC untouched (very important) and still get a compression that is usable. Would be very kind of you if you looked into that in the near future.

Thank you & best regards,
HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 01:53:18 PM »
HM,

with "Save Photo as" the slider told me 1.95 MB and the saved photo's size resulted in 2052K shown in PM and 2 MB in the Finder. In a second try I checked the "sharpen" checkbox and the slider stayed at 1.95MB while the resulting file had 2424K.

Save As always saves the file.  Why would one want Save As not to save the file?  If you want a copy, use the Copy Photos dialog.

Quote from: heavymeister
With "Send Photos via email" the slider said 1.95 MB, Mail said 1.6 MB (for the full email) and detached photo showed 1228K which is the same size as the original one.
So the latter is working as you described, but the slider gave a different value.

Just ignore the JPEG Quality slider calculation in the Email dialog.  As long as you don't make any adjustments to the file and set the slider all the way to the right, the original file will be sent.

Quote from: heavymeister
My need is that I sometimes have to send via email or ftp files at a certain file size because of locally limited bandwidth and time then is important to get the shots out. So I need to be sure that the desired file size is actually there. My workaround was to batch resize and use PM for viewing, selecting and sending. But here I got those different file sizes. In fact I rather would love to use only PM because of its speed advantage.
So what I am looking for is something to control the file size, so I can set a value like 800K limit, choose photo dimension, choose sharpen, keep EXIF/IPTC untouched (very important) and still get a compression that is usable. Would be very kind of you if you looked into that in the near future.

That is an often requested feature and unfortunately is not easy to accomplish.  The compression thread would have to compress the image several times, adjusting the quality until the desired size was reached.  This sort of thing could really slow down the operation.

-Kirk

Offline heavymeister

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »
HM,

Save As always saves the file.  Why would one want Save As not to save the file?  If you want a copy, use the Copy Photos dialog.
Yes I know that. But I need sharpening often. And I just was wondering why there is this huge difference in file sizes when applying "Sharpen". Is there a way to trim the compression to a more economic attitude, without affecting picture quality too much?

That is an often requested feature and unfortunately is not easy to accomplish.  The compression thread would have to compress the image several times, adjusting the quality until the desired size was reached.  This sort of thing could really slow down the operation.

-Kirk

OK. But please keep that in mind for PM 6.

Thanks a lot & best regards,

HM

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »
HM,

Yes I know that. But I need sharpening often. And I just was wondering why there is this huge difference in file sizes when applying "Sharpen". Is there a way to trim the compression to a more economic attitude, without affecting picture quality too much?

Since you're saving the file anyway, adjust the slider and use the 'Subsample Chroma' checkbox to get a file size you desire.  Just because you're sharpening doesn't increase the file size much, in fact it won't be reflected in the JPEG size estimate at all.  If you're wondering why Photo Mechanic at maximum quality without chroma subsampling on produces a larger file than the original file from the camera, this is because we've tuned our compression to have the maximum quality setting to be 'near-lossless'.  Just adjust the JPEG Quality slider to a size you're comfortable with and you should be good to go.

-Kirk