Author Topic: Migrating PM to new computer  (Read 22160 times)

Offline vonnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Migrating PM to new computer
« on: July 18, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
I just purchased a new computer and need to transfer my current (purchased, not demo) Photo Mechanic software to the new laptop. Do I just download another copy from your site and use my current code or is there another process?

thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Migrating PM to new computer
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 11:40:43 PM »
I just purchased a new computer and need to transfer my current (purchased, not demo) Photo Mechanic software to the new laptop. Do I just download another copy from your site and use my current code or is there another process?

Just download, install, and enter your current registration information.

-Kirk

Offline vonnie

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »
thank you!

Offline oryk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 03:40:45 AM »
How is it possible to synchronize FTP-Connection settings of two (laptop and desktop) MACs ?

Just Copying folder <FTPAsDialogSettings> to the other MAC does not work properly.
-Oryk

( MAC, OS 10.13.6 )

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:22:24 AM »
How is it possible to synchronize FTP-Connection settings of two (laptop and desktop) MACs ?

Just Copying folder <FTPAsDialogSettings> to the other MAC does not work properly.

On a Mac you'd have to copy the com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.plist file from the Preferences folder as well.  But then you'd be copying all settings, not just FTP settings.

Version 4.6 (in development) has a full export/import of individual preferences and should make this sort of thing much easier.

-Kirk

Offline Micky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:31:53 AM »
What files would I need to move to my new Vista computer in order to retain my settings and my rather extensive list of keywords?
I looked in users\username\appdata\camera bits, inc.\photo mechanic hoping to see some sort of hint, but I don't think all that settings may be stored there.
I know you mentioned an export feature in 4.6, but I need to xfer stuff this weekend. My OS is trashed on the old machine but I can still access the hard drive files.

Micky
Hartland, VT

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 06:56:28 AM »
Micky,

What files would I need to move to my new Vista computer in order to retain my settings and my rather extensive list of keywords?
I looked in users\username\appdata\camera bits, inc.\photo mechanic hoping to see some sort of hint, but I don't think all that settings may be stored there.
I know you mentioned an export feature in 4.6, but I need to xfer stuff this weekend. My OS is trashed on the old machine but I can still access the hard drive files.

The majority of the settings you're wanting to export are stored in the Windows Registry.  Is the Windows Registry intact or has it been replaced by the new OS install?  If it is intact, I can help you.  If it is gone, then so are your settings.

Please let me know.

-Kirk

Offline Micky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 07:11:01 AM »
I think I can get into the registry, I will have to reinstall the drive back into the old laptop...
The machine wasn't too bad, it was just acting really flaky after I loaned it out.
I have a new drive for that machine, and I plan on installing Vista x64...

I can access the old drive just fine, but I will bet is is just easier to export the reg data...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 08:19:30 AM »
I think I can get into the registry, I will have to reinstall the drive back into the old laptop...
The machine wasn't too bad, it was just acting really flaky after I loaned it out.
I have a new drive for that machine, and I plan on installing Vista x64...

I can access the old drive just fine, but I will bet is is just easier to export the reg data...

You need to export:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Camera Bits, Inc.

and everything below that key using RegEdit.  Then import it onto the new computer in the same location.

If you don't already feel comfortable using RegEdit (which can make a system completely inoperable if used incorrectly) then don't attempt this!

-Kirk

Offline Micky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
Thanks, Kirk. Worked like a dream. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I guess an Export function that puts a file in My Documents would be easier for most...

Micky

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 07:00:16 PM »
Micky,

Thanks, Kirk. Worked like a dream. It was exactly what I was looking for.

I guess an Export function that puts a file in My Documents would be easier for most...

Yes, and it helps even more when using a different OS than the original OS.  Like Mac OS X -> Windows or vice-versa.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:54:55 AM »
Kirk, reading the forums here, I think a lot of people will be very happy about this 4.6 feature!

Thanks.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline JAS Photo

• View Profile
    • JAS Photo LLC
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Sorry to be slow but - the export setting in the preferences window is exporting some stuff. What is missing??? Before I play with the registry on my new 64 bit vista system - I'm trying to move my settings from a XP Pro system.
Joe Sorrentino
JAS Photo LLC
http://www.JASPhoto.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 03:22:54 PM »
Sorry to be slow but - the export setting in the preferences window is exporting some stuff. What is missing??? Before I play with the registry on my new 64 bit vista system - I'm trying to move my settings from a XP Pro system.

Until 4.6 comes out, exporting your entire preferences would have to be a Registry experts-only task.  I can walk you through it if you like.  Contact me privately.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 01:38:30 AM »
I just installed PM 4.6.1 beta 4 and I have it on OSX 10.5.5 together with a fully functional PM 4.5.5 but would like to migrate my settings form the older PM to the new beta. I also have PM 4.6.1 beta 4 on two Windows machines I use separately (only one at a time), but I would like to have settings and preferences to be matched on all instances of PM. How can I solve it the easyest way?
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com