Author Topic: Migrating PM to new computer  (Read 22159 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Migrating PM to new computer
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 06:31:52 AM »
I just installed PM 4.6.1 beta 4 and I have it on OSX 10.5.5 together with a fully functional PM 4.5.5 but would like to migrate my settings form the older PM to the new beta. I also have PM 4.6.1 beta 4 on two Windows machines I use separately (only one at a time), but I would like to have settings and preferences to be matched on all instances of PM. How can I solve it the easyest way?

Use the Export button in the Preferences dialog on the system that you want to export its preferences from (it needs to have 4.6.1 installed on it) and save it to a file.  Then transfer that file to the new system and use the Import button (it needs to have 4.6.1 on it too) and choose that file you copied from the other system.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 01:55:27 PM »
Migrating your preferences from the "old" to the "new" PM is easy: you don't need to do anything. For synchronizing your settings between the Windows machine and your mac, you probably only need to export your settings on the mac and then import them on the Windows machines (be careful when migrating path information though; these might not work as Mac and Windows use a different directory schema and separator).

Hope this helps,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 01:57:55 PM »
Hayo,

Migrating your preferences from the "old" to the "new" PM is easy: you don't need to do anything. For synchronizing your settings between the Windows machine and your mac, you probably only need to export your settings on the mac and then import them on the Windows machines (be careful when migrating path information though; these might not work as Mac and Windows use a different directory schema and separator).

Preferences containing paths are not exported to the export file.  Not only would they not be cross-platform (because of the issue you pointed out above) but they often don't work even on the same OS since different computers often have different directory structures or a different number of hard drives.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 02:05:22 PM »
Kirk,

Ah, thanks for correcting me here. I guess I misread the warning in the release notes here :)

Cheers,
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 02:39:49 PM »
Thanks for you both. The Export/Import part seems to be a clever addon again.
Keep up the great job!
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com