Author Topic: PM not extracting edited NEF JPEGs, I think  (Read 3901 times)

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM not extracting edited NEF JPEGs, I think
« on: July 20, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »
I am using PM 4.5.3.1 for the first time on a MacBook Pro. I have Nikon Capture NX2 as the NEF editor. I have edited some of the NEF's in NX2 to fix things like white balance. The thumbnail in the Finder shows the fixed white balance in a particular image. When I used the Save As... to JPEG, the extracted JPEGs have the old (bad) white balance in the image, whether I use the "use JPEG" or "render Raw if possible" options. If I do the save as JPEG directly from NX2, the image looks right.

Am I doing something wrong here? Do I misunderstand the method for getting the corrected JPEGs out?

Thanks, David.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM not extracting edited NEF JPEGs, I think
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:26:26 AM »
David,

I am using PM 4.5.3.1 for the first time on a MacBook Pro. I have Nikon Capture NX2 as the NEF editor. I have edited some of the NEF's in NX2 to fix things like white balance. The thumbnail in the Finder shows the fixed white balance in a particular image. When I used the Save As... to JPEG, the extracted JPEGs have the old (bad) white balance in the image, whether I use the "use JPEG" or "render Raw if possible" options. If I do the save as JPEG directly from NX2, the image looks right.

Am I doing something wrong here? Do I misunderstand the method for getting the corrected JPEGs out?

Are you shooting RAW+JPEG?  If so, then it is the JPEG that you're saving from unless you're telling Save as to use the RAW file in which case Apple's ImageIO is being used to render the file.  Neither is what you want to do.

Instead use the "Extract JPEG Previews from RAW photos..." command on the Tools menu.

-Kirk

Offline dsmccormick

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM not extracting edited NEF JPEGs, I think
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 08:28:33 AM »
Brilliant. That was exactly what I needed. I was shooting NEF (Raw) only, not NEF+JPEG.

Thanks, David.