Author Topic: Focus points  (Read 16954 times)

Offline rimvydukas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Focus points
« on: July 20, 2008, 01:25:24 AM »
Hi guys,

You've made amazing program, but I think it lacks very important feature - viewable focus points. Breeze Browser pro has such an ability. Is it possible for you to implement this feature in PM?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Focus points
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »
You've made amazing program, but I think it lacks very important feature - viewable focus points. Breeze Browser pro has such an ability. Is it possible for you to implement this feature in PM?

Sure, it is possible and has been requested before.  It is on our list for implementation, but I don't have a specific version for you in which this feature will appear.

-Kirk

Offline rimvydukas

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 10:03:03 AM »
Kirk, I saw your promises to implement this at 2006 by searching this forum:) You're are not very fast with this feature:( But in othere ways - amazing program, I'm very glad that I've found it:) It is exactly the program I needed for my initial sorting/marking workflow.

Simple question - are you going to implement some kind of RAW converter in windows version? It would be so nice to be able to save jpeg file from the raw one. Is there some kind of difficulties implementing this?

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
As I understand Mac OSX has a built in RAW support this way letting PM use a RAW converter not necessary to write one which would be a tough work. On Windows the lack of such RAW support and the lack of a free converter makes it harder.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 07:57:52 AM »
szurkebarat, being able to show the used focus point, actually does not require a RAW converter at all.  It only requires PM to understand how the various brands save the focus point information into the EXIF information/maker note.  While certainly doable, this is going to require some additional research, and lots of work...

I do, however, second the request; being able to show the focus point would be a hand function, especially if the zoom function could be made to jump right at the focus point.  This way you could more easily determine if the image you're reviewing has the right focus.

Cheers,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:36:46 AM »
szurkebarat, being able to show the used focus point, actually does not require a RAW converter at all.

It is obvious. I don't really know how my post ended up in this thread I meant it to post in another one.

Sorry for the mistake...
,-))
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
szurkebarat, being able to show the used focus point, actually does not require a RAW converter at all.

It is obvious. I don't really know how my post ended up in this thread I meant it to post in another one.

Sorry for the mistake...
,-))

No you had it right.  You just forgot to quote this:

Simple question - are you going to implement some kind of RAW converter in windows version? It would be so nice to be able to save jpeg file from the raw one. Is there some kind of difficulties implementing this?

And the answer to this is that RAW converters are not simple to implement.

-Kirk

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:13:07 PM »

Sorry for the mistake...
,-))

No you had it right.  You just forgot to quote this:

And the answer to this is that RAW converters are not simple to implement.

Oh, but then I can also add to this one :D

Kirk also left something out:  ;D
rimvydukas: You can already save a RAW file as jpeg under Windows, no RAW converter is required for this!  Most (all?) RAW files come with a jpg preview file.  While the quality of this preview varies by camera make and model, they are mostly perfectly usable.  The embedded jpegs from Nikon for instance, are excellent (>90% jpg quality setting, especially after editing in Capture NX).
Simply go to Tools, Extract JPG preview from RAW photos.

Note: It is my understanding that in the next version of PM, the save-as function will actually incorporate this extraction step so that you won't have to do anything different for RAW files as compared to other files.

Hope this helps,
    Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »
While the quality of this preview varies by camera make and model, they are mostly perfectly usable.  The embedded jpegs from Nikon for instance, are excellent (>90% jpg quality setting, especially after editing in Capture NX).

Not entirely true. In some cameras this embedded jpg may be useful, but often they are not. And I wouldn't send them to any client.
Allways shooting RAW.

sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 12:50:35 AM »
Kirk,

Do you have any better idea when you might implement this feature?

Scott

Offline ricardsonwilliams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 02:36:11 AM »
its would be nice feature!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 07:02:44 AM »
Scott,

Do you have any better idea when you might implement this feature?

No, not at this time.

-Kirk

Offline kristiwright

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
It looks like you've been talking about implementing the ability to view focus points since '08. I think this would be a great feature. So here we are in 2012...is it ever going to happen?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 01:33:47 PM »
It looks like you've been talking about implementing the ability to view focus points since '08. I think this would be a great feature. So here we are in 2012...is it ever going to happen?

It is certainly not a high priority for us at this time.

-Kirk