Author Topic: Ingest Dialog not Opening  (Read 5847 times)

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
Ingest Dialog not Opening
« on: July 20, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
I am using PM 4.5.3.2 beta 6 in Win XP Pro SP3. When I insert a CF card in my reader, the Ingest dialog no longer opens, instead Windows opens an Explorer window in the root of the CF card. This happens regardless of whether or not PM is running.

I have tried resetting this in the Preferences tab of PM, but to no effect.

How do I restore that functionality?

Mick

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest Dialog not Opening
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 01:26:54 PM »
Mick,

I am using PM 4.5.3.2 beta 6 in Win XP Pro SP3. When I insert a CF card in my reader, the Ingest dialog no longer opens, instead Windows opens an Explorer window in the root of the CF card. This happens regardless of whether or not PM is running.

I have tried resetting this in the Preferences tab of PM, but to no effect.

How do I restore that functionality?

Right-click on your card reader in Windows Explorer, choose Properties and then click on the AutoPlay tab.  Then configure it to Ingest with Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:10:27 AM »
Windows seems to have decided that it knows best. No matter what I set AutoPLay to, Windows opens Explorer. I can't even get it to open a dialog to let me choose.

Do you know what registery key this is controlled by, and what it should be set to?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:24:37 AM »
Windows seems to have decided that it knows best. No matter what I set AutoPLay to, Windows opens Explorer. I can't even get it to open a dialog to let me choose.

Do you know what registery key this is controlled by, and what it should be set to?

AutoPlay is very problematic.  So much so that Microsoft has created a Wizard to help:

http://www.microsoft.com/DOWNLOADS/details.aspx?FamilyID=c680a7b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »
Thanks for trying to help with the Windows problems, Kirk.  Unfortunately is was not much help. After running the Wizard, it returned these results: "Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem."

Since Windows seems to be able to open Explorer OK, and I can ingest manually in PM, I'd say the Wizard isn't very smart. Well, I guess since Bill retired...