Author Topic: PM won't read anyting from Western Digital Passport 250GB hard drives  (Read 3115 times)

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi there. I'm running PM 4.4.3.3 for Mac.

I just purchased two Western Digital Passport 250GB hard drives for use while I travel. After transferring my image files to these hard drives, I discovered today while flying that PM will not open anything from either of the two hard drives. Instead, PM hangs completely, and I need to force quit PM in order to use PM again for anything else.

I am able to open files from the new hard drives in Photoshop, Preview, and Bridge. Also, I have another external hard drive at home and PM always works with that one.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Tommy Leonardi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Tommy,

Hi there. I'm running PM 4.4.3.3 for Mac.

I just purchased two Western Digital Passport 250GB hard drives for use while I travel. After transferring my image files to these hard drives, I discovered today while flying that PM will not open anything from either of the two hard drives. Instead, PM hangs completely, and I need to force quit PM in order to use PM again for anything else.

I am able to open files from the new hard drives in Photoshop, Preview, and Bridge. Also, I have another external hard drive at home and PM always works with that one.

What interface do these new drives use?  USB2?  FireWire?
How are you opening the folders you're trying to browse?  Drag and Drop?  Open from the File menu?  The Navigator panel?
How many files are in the folder you're trying to browse?
What happens if you open a folder with only one image in it?

-Kirk

Offline tommyleo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile

USB2.

How are you opening the folders you're trying to browse?  Drag and Drop?  Open from the File menu?  The Navigator panel?

I always use drag and drop. I tried to open from the File menu, but that didn't work either. What is the Navigator panel?

I tried many different folders, with 20-500 images.

I created a test folder with one image. Still doesn't work.

This is odd!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

USB2.

I always use drag and drop. I tried to open from the File menu, but that didn't work either. What is the Navigator panel?

I tried many different folders, with 20-500 images.

I created a test folder with one image. Still doesn't work.

This is odd!

I'd say so!  Please contact our support staff directly on this one.  503-547-2888

-Kirk

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Not to confuse the issue too much, but I just tried a WD Passport 250 on my Mac Pro running OS X 10.5.4 and PM 4.5.3.2 (latest beta) and didn't have any problems reading photos from the drive. It was pretty slow reading CR2 raw images, but flew right along reading JPEGs. Have you tried it with a newer version of PM?